[comp.lang.perl] rewriting sendmail in perl

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (03/06/90)

[LWall]
>> Actually, I was thinking about what I'd need to write the new rn in perl.
>> I don't want to rewrite sendmail.  (Not consciously, anyway.  :-)

But *I* do, and Perl is going to be the vehicle.

Just warning everyone in advance.  You know how easy it is to interpret
sendmail rewriting rules using Perl?  Not that one would use rewriting
rules, especially not the ones sendmail uses, but just so you all know:
It Can Be Done...
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@decwrl.dec.com>

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul D. Anderson) (03/08/90)

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:
>>[LWall] Actually, I was thinking about what I'd need to write the new
>>rn in perl. I don't want to rewrite sendmail.  (Not consciously, anyway. :-)
>But *I* do, and Perl is going to be the vehicle. [...]  It Can Be Done...

After first porting sendmail 5.61 to a crippled System V machine, then
endeavoring to make it communicate with Wollongong smtp and Sun sendmail
(and have it's processes *really* die when done),  I would love to see
a sendmail running in Perl.

I Will Use It!  Please post it!

-paul
Paul Anderson * h:404-565-0761 w:404-841-4000
{mathcs.emory,gatech}.edu!stiatl!pda  ||  pda@SalesTech.Com

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/08/90)

According to vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie):
>[LWall]
> I don't want to rewrite sendmail.  (Not consciously, anyway.  :-)
>
>But *I* do, and Perl is going to be the vehicle.

I suggest that anyone who wants to hack on mail with Perl use Deliver
version 2.0 patch 9 as a start.  It understands "#!/bin/perl" in the
shell-scripts-aka-delivery-files used to control mail delivery.

And besides, I wrote it.  :-)
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."