[comp.lang.perl] wow!

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (03/08/90)

In article <7335@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
>Better yet, make wow upper case so that if I add a reserved word "wow"
>you don't have to rewrite your script.

I propose a reserved word "wow" which selects and executes one of
Randal's JAPH one-liners at random!

Unfortunately, knowing Randal, he would then need only terminate his
articles with

	wow;
	--
	Randal Schwartz...

as the shortest JAPH method yet!  But this would make 'wow' into a new
Randal one-liner.  So 'wow' might pick itself and there would be a
possibility of recursion error.

Well, back to my 'Perl in Perl' project... :-)

--
'The Nazis have no sense of humor, so why   -|  Tom Neff
should they want television?' -- Phil Dick  |-  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (03/10/90)

In article <15240@bfmny0.UU.NET>, tneff@bfmny0 (Tom Neff) writes:
| I propose a reserved word "wow" which selects and executes one of
| Randal's JAPH one-liners at random!
|
| Unfortunately, knowing Randal, he would then need only terminate his
| articles with
|
| 	wow;
| 	--
| 	Randal Schwartz...
|
| as the shortest JAPH method yet!  But this would make 'wow' into a new
| Randal one-liner.  So 'wow' might pick itself and there would be a
| possibility of recursion error.

Actually, I'd propose making the autodecrement magical, in that if it
is not preceeded or followed by an lvalue, it just prints "Just
another Perl hacker,".  Then, I wouldn't have to have *any* lines. :-)
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |