[comp.lang.perl] perl 3.0 patch level 14 fails on HP/UX 7.0

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (03/13/90)

I recompiled perl 3.0 patch level 14 on our newly installed HP/UX version
7.0 and several tests failed. We changed to version 7.0 last weekend. The
previous version of perl (patch level 12) had been compiled on HP/UX 6.5
and continues to work on 7.0. I have not tried to compile perl3pl12 on
HP/UX 7.0.

The following tests give problems:

comp.cpp:	Out of memory! after ok 2
comp.script:	Hangs after ok 1
cmd.while:	Out of memory! after ok 19
io.fs:		Segmentation fault
io.inplace:	Segmentation fault
op.mkdir:	Hangs
op.stat:	Hangs after ok 4

When I trace the thing with adb, it seems that perl is reading from a file
on a pipe (opened by a ``). I get: str_gets, `calls' getc, which calls
__filbuf, which calls __findbuf, which calls malloc. The malloc never
returns, so there is apparently a problem.

The problem seems to be the malloc, because it works if I use the malloc
that comes with perl.
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (03/14/90)

In article <2643@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:

> The following tests give problems:

I just brought Perl up to PL14 on our HP-UX 6.5 system.  Though I didn't
investigate as thoroughly as Piet did, the same 7 tests failed here.  I
took the suggestion of using the malloc that comes with Perl, and
everything is OK.  I'm satified that I have a working version of PL14,
but I'd sure like to know what broke.  If anyone has any ideas, please
let us know.

Thanks.

--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
    (...!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (03/15/90)

In article <2643@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:

 'I recompiled perl 3.0 patch level 14 on our newly installed HP/UX version
 '7.0 and several tests failed. We changed to version 7.0 last weekend. The
 'previous version of perl (patch level 12) had been compiled on HP/UX 6.5
 'and continues to work on 7.0. I have not tried to compile perl3pl12 on
 'HP/UX 7.0.
 'The problem seems to be the malloc, because it works if I use the malloc
 'that comes with perl.

I have the same problems with pl14 on HP/UX 6.2 (GCC1.36). Pl12 runs
fine, though.

Johan
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv
Doesburgweg 7, 2803 PL Gouda, The Netherlands  phone/fax: +31 1820 62944/62500
------------------------ "Arms are made for hugging" -------------------------

giles@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Giles Lean) (03/16/90)

Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.ruu.nl> writes in comp.lang.perl:
> I recompiled perl 3.0 patch level 14 on our newly installed HP/UX version
> 7.0 and several tests failed. We changed to version 7.0 last weekend. The
> previous version of perl (patch level 12) had been compiled on HP/UX 6.5
> and continues to work on 7.0. I have not tried to compile perl3pl12 on
> HP/UX 7.0.

On the 800 series perl 3.0 compiles and tests correctly. (Patchlevels 12
14.) I haven't tried a 300 yet...

Giles.