[comp.lang.perl] Xenix 386 op.split problem

I received the following.

Larry

From: ames!claris!netcom!netnews@jpl-mil.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (NetCom Usenet Admin)
Subject: perl 3.0 pl18 bug

At patch level 18, perl failed the op.split test ("FAILED on test 0")
and left a core dump.  Here is a trace back of that core dump:

> sdb perl t/core
445
*t
do_split(25749524,25749492), line 445
eval(25795444), line 120
eval(25749364), line 120
eval(25749652), line 120
eval(25749012), line 120
cmd_exec(25793012,0,-1), line 618
main(2), line 708
_start()
*q

The core its refering to, in dolist.c, is #ifdef'd for I286.
This problem occured on both a Xenix 2.3.2 386 and SCO Unix 3.2 386
systems.  Both have M_I86 defined and in perl.h this causes
the #define of I286 which led to this bug.
By recompiling perl with -UM_I86, then I286 is left undefined
and the bug went away.  This workaround worked on both systems.

Gordon Moffett