[comp.lang.perl] Debug Option

gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Al Gaspar) (04/11/90)

I was messing around with the debugger today, and I found that (as
advertised) 'perl -de 0' would dump me into the debugger, but that
'perl -ed 0' just put me back to my prompt.  I'm just curious.  Is
this behavior correct?  Are there other options that must be given
in a particular order?

Cheers--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
USAMC SIMA, ATTN:  AMXSI-TTC, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578

In article <1990Apr10.202336.17704@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU> gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL writes:
:
: I was messing around with the debugger today, and I found that (as
: advertised) 'perl -de 0' would dump me into the debugger, but that
: 'perl -ed 0' just put me back to my prompt.  I'm just curious.  Is
: this behavior correct?

Correct according to whom?

It could be made to work the way you expect, but that would be complicated.

: Are there other options that must be given in a particular order?

The -I option also requires a following argument, except that you can
have no intervening space if you like.  In other words, if you said

	perl -Id /usr/local/lib/perl whatever

you would add 'd' to the @INC array, and then it would try to execute
the directory /usr/local/lib/perl as a perl script, which probably won't
do anything useful.

The -D and -i switches also must be the final switch in a bundle.

Larry

crehta@tasu73.UUCP (Ran Ever-Hadani) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr10.202336.17704@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU> gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL writes:

>I was messing around with the debugger today, and I found that (as
>advertised) 'perl -de 0' would dump me into the debugger, but that
>'perl -ed 0' just put me back to my prompt.  I'm just curious.  Is
>this behavior correct?  Are there other options that must be given
>in a particular order?

Calling 'perl -ape' works as documented, while 'perl -pea' seems
to ignore the 'a' and behave like -pe.  Same goes for -ane and -nea.

-- Ran
Disclaimer: The above is to be attributed to me only, not to any organization.
Apology: Bad English.  E-mailed spelling and style corrections are welcome.