[comp.lang.perl] MS-DOS Perl--One Man's Experience

giles@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Giles Lean) (04/10/90)

Len Reed <lbr@holos0.uucp> writes in comp.lang.perl:
> I got the MS-DOS version of perl working.

Ditto. Finally...

> There were two stumbling blocks to compilation.  The source tried to
> pull in the non-existant <sys/param.h>; I merely #if'ed that away.  It
> also tried to use <sys/times.h> and deal with process times; I hacked
> that till it compiled, but I my perl.exe won't gracefully complain about
> the "times" command--it will just hang up the processor.

I hacked a litte further and got perl to decline to accept times().
Really needs a call to 'fatal', but I haven't done that yet.

Tracking down the tests that fail (ignoring the unfixable unixisms like
umask and times()) I have the following tests failing. Anyone else
worked on these? I know the regexp problems have been mentioned elsewhere.

test		behaviour

inplace		doesn't back up; prints to stdout
regexp		tests 73 and 115
term		Fails to match the output of 'echo hi there'. (This
		is echo from the MKS toolkit.)
unshift

rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russ Herman) (04/14/90)

In article <4080017@hpausla.aso.hp.com> giles@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Giles Lean) writes:
>Tracking down the tests that fail (ignoring the unfixable unixisms like
>umask and times()) I have the following tests failing. Anyone else
>worked on these? I know the regexp problems have been mentioned elsewhere.
>
>test		behaviour
>
>inplace		doesn't back up; prints to stdout
>regexp		tests 73 and 115
>term		Fails to match the output of 'echo hi there'. (This
>		is echo from the MKS toolkit.)
>unshift

The unshift problem goes away when you turn off MSCs optimization and
stuff a

#define register

in config.h.  MSC isn't quite handling SOMETHING right.  Will try these
again when my MSC6.0 upgrade gets filled.

However, I have a lot more errors: argv.2; glob.1 [probably an DOS env
string limit though]; s.41,42; split.11; and a significant sprinkling
throughout stat.  I've been trying things re the regexp problems with no
luck. The last hint I was given (8-bit chars) sounded reasonable but
didn't help.
Russ Herman
INTERNET: rwh@me.utoronto.ca  UUCP: ..uunet!utai!me!rwh