[comp.lang.perl] Perl and dbz

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (05/08/90)

I just tried reading a dbz history file with the dbm routines in Perl.
It didn't work, which didn't suprize me.  So, has anyone hacked perl
to understand dbz files?  Maybe a dbzopen() could be added?  Since
Perl is such a report-based utility, I think it should be included.
Comments Larry?

[DBZ is a DBM replacement that comes with the latest Cnews.  It's
much faster than dbm for news applications.]

...on the way to producing verbose news analysis.

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (05/08/90)

According to eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick):
>I just tried reading a dbz history file with the dbm routines in Perl.
>It didn't work, which didn't suprize me.  So, has anyone hacked perl
>to understand dbz files?

There's no need.  The C News distribution includes the program
"newshist", which prints the history entries of the articles named on
its command line.  Collect article IDs, open "newshist @IDS|", and
read those history lines.

The recently posted "logscan" script uses "newshist".   If anyone
wants a copy, just drop me a line.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>

jwc@unify.uucp (J. William Claypool) (05/09/90)

In article <90May7.143910edt.19586@me.utoronto.ca> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:
>I just tried reading a dbz history file with the dbm routines in Perl.
>It didn't work, which didn't suprize me.  So, has anyone hacked perl
>to understand dbz files?  Maybe a dbzopen() could be added?  Since
>Perl is such a report-based utility, I think it should be included.
>Comments Larry?
>
>[DBZ is a DBM replacement that comes with the latest Cnews.  It's
>much faster than dbm for news applications.]
>
>...on the way to producing verbose news analysis.

The only problem with this is that the DBZ routines have the same names
as the DBM routines they emulate.
--

Bill Claypool    +1 916 920 9092 | I know what I know if you know what I mean
jwc@unify.UUCP                   |--------------------------------------------

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (05/09/90)

As long as you have source code PERL code have a special version of DBZ with
different names.  The same thing goes for the GNU DBM code and another
clone which I am trying called SDBM.  Seems to be pretty good with disk space.

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (05/09/90)

In article <2646DFD4.744@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>There's no need.  The C News distribution includes the program
>"newshist", which prints the history entries of the articles named on
>its command line.  Collect article IDs, open "newshist @IDS|", and
>read those history lines.

Isn't that more expensive than reading the dbz file directly?
Maybe I'll compile a perl with the dbz routines instead of the dbm
routines (perlz?).

Chip, could you mail me a copy of the log reporter?  Thanks.

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (05/09/90)

In article <dm45w9n@unify.uucp> jwc@unify.uucp (J. William Claypool) writes:
> In article <90May7.143910edt.19586@me.utoronto.ca> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:
> >I just tried reading a dbz history file with the dbm routines in Perl.
> >It didn't work, which didn't suprize me.  So, has anyone hacked perl
> >to understand dbz files?  Maybe a dbzopen() could be added?  Since
> >Perl is such a report-based utility, I think it should be included.
> >Comments Larry?

> The only problem with this is that the DBZ routines have the same names
> as the DBM routines they emulate.

Can I put in my vote that perl support *one* dbm package at a time, but more
importantly, can we get Configure/build support for Ozan Yigit's sdbm?
(if you don't got V7 *or* a source license *or* BSD *or* some obscure
versions of Xenix, you can't use a full-function dbm with Perl)

Then Larry could distribute sdbm with perl and we'd *all* have consistent
capability DBM support!

Pretty please?
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc, {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis