[net.music] Groups I like.

jharman@watarts.UUCP (James Harman) (07/31/85)

Why does everyone go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and etc
about K.B.She is good, but ........so?

Let's talk about the true gods of music;

The Waterboys ( I know you've never heard of them, they haven't sold too
	many albums .... BUT .... if you like R.E.M. ----> BUY IT  )

R.E.M.

Siouxsie  - it's funny to read in the past weeks about everyone who
	claims to know everything about the band and yet never have heard
	about Singles - It has H.K. Garden
		       Christine
		       Arabian Nights
		       etc

Simple Minds - It's Reel to Reel Cacophony
              Not   ^ea^    ^ea^
		I guess it's too much to ask people to read the covers of
 	their favourite bands releases.

Talking Heads - god-like , didja see Dave on David Letterman
       just goes to show that brilliant musicians can be goofs too.
	I saw them at the Kingswood a couple of years ago ( maybe last
        year and it was a religious experience )

Violent Femmes - What can you say about a band who, as a chorus,
	sing " Why can't I get just one kiss?"
	and degenerate to
	     "Why can't I get just one screw?"
	and then to
	     "Why can't I get just one Fuck?"
	( Whoops maybe I should ROT this, too bad this is my first
	article and I don't know how to do that yet).

Joy Division - makes New Order look like a bunch of disco
	wimp sell-outs, which they are.

Killing Joke - saw them at a Police Picnic ( great big
	concert in Oakville, had the GoGo's, Killing
	Joke, Nash the Slash, The Police, the last concert
	of the Specials ever, anywhere + 4 other bands that
	I can't remember, concert was okay, everyone
	hated Killing Joke - the fools )

Nine Nine Nine - wat a joke, everyone fell for it too

Iggy Poop - grand daddy of punk, he co wrote China Girl for Bowie,
	does anyone know if there is any truth too the rumor that they
	were " more than just friends".

XTC- why didn't ANYONE buy Mummer, it is great, weird but great.

oh i could go on and on but....

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/02/85)

> Why does everyone go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and etc
> about K.B.She is good, but ........so? [HARMAN]
>
> Let's talk about the true gods of music;
>
> Siouxsie  - it's funny to read in the past weeks about everyone who
> 	claims to know everything about the band and yet never have heard
> 	about Singles - It has H.K. Garden
> 		       Christine
> 		       Arabian Nights
> 		       etc

The name of the album is NOT "Singles", it is "Once Upon a Time - The Singles",
in case anyone is looking for it.

> Simple Minds - It's Reel to Reel Cacophony
>               Not   ^ea^    ^ea^
> 		I guess it's too much to ask people to read the covers of
>  	their favourite bands releases.

Yeah, you should try it some time yourself.  The name of the album IS
"Real to Real Cacophony".  And it's the album on which they first started
building the original sound that held them up to "Sister Feelings Call"
(and to a degree "New Gold Dream"), before it all sounded mechanical.

> Joy Division - makes New Order look like a bunch of disco
> 	wimp sell-outs, which they are.

Now, HERE'S something we can agree on!!!!!

> XTC- why didn't ANYONE buy Mummer, it is great, weird but great.

I didn't either (and I regret it).  "Dukes of Stratosfear" is great though.
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/04/85)

"[Dance represents] the victory over gravity..."

> From: jharman@watarts.UUCP (James Harman)

> Why does everyone go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and
> etc about K.B.

Because she's there?

> She is good, but ........so?

Good???????  Hmmphh!

> Let's talk about the true gods of music;

We already were, but it's great if someone wants to talk about more of
them.

> R.E.M.

Eh, they're okay....

> Siouxsie  - it's funny to read in the past weeks about everyone who
> 	claims to know everything about the band and yet never have heard
> 	about Singles

Well I'm not a Siouxsie Sioux expert (though she's really great -- and I
knew about the singles compilation album), but a true fan doesn't need
to buy such an album, because they already have bought all the singles
(especially to get all the non-album B-sides, if Siouxsie does that...),
Of course, a true fan buys the album anyway....

> Simple Minds - It's Reel to Reel Cacophony

Well I hope the stuff that you are raving about is better than "Don't
You Forget About Me"....  Which I'd find fairly easy to believe....

> Talking Heads - god-like

No argument.  Though no "Talking Heads" approaches "My Life In The Bush
of Ghosts".

> didja see Dave on David Letterman just goes to show that brilliant
> musicians can be goofs too.

A goof???  He was great!

> Joy Division - makes New Order look like a bunch of disco
> 	wimp sell-outs, which they are.

Yup.  (I think someone's going to flame at me now....)

> Killing Joke - saw them at a Police Picnic ( great big concert in
> Oakville, had the GoGo's, Killing Joke, Nash the Slash, The Police,
> the last concert of the Specials ever, anywhere + 4 other bands that I
> can't remember, concert was okay, everyone hated Killing Joke - the
> fools )

Killing Joke and Nash the Slash in thew same place!  And I missed
them?!?!?!?  How can I continue life?

> oh i could go on and on but....

But what?  Go right ahead....

		"Virile young men run down the street in havoc singing
		 'I wish to build, I penetrate, I penetrate'"

		 Doug Alan
		  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (08/05/85)

-=-

In article <8508@watarts.UUCP> jharman@watarts.UUCP (James Harman) writes:

>Joy Division - makes New Order look like a bunch of disco
>	wimp sell-outs, which they are.

Jimmy, I know you are suffering still, even though Ian Curtis died for our
sins, but New Order aren't disco, wimps, or sell-outs.   Joy Division is
still my number one ever, but I saw New Order last Friday and they brought
the house down.  The Opera House in Boston, that is.  As a local critic
recently pointed out, they aren't Joy Division and don't pretend to be:
even though the pain they still feel over Curtis is evident, they haven't
tried to cash in on his death.

As for selling out, on the strength of their Boston show, I believe they
are deliberately trying to sabotage their own popularity.  They choose to
control their relationship with the audience, feeling, as Robert Fripp
does, that most performer-audience transactions are essentially vampiric
in nature, with the crowd doing the feeding ...   New Order came out,
fairly stomped through a 55 minute set, and chose to leave sans encores.
The crowd (typical Boston fans:  turn your back on them at your peril) felt
cheated and reacted poorly to say the least.  There were several fights,
police running around like fools, the crowd streaming back *in* to the
theater 10 minutes after the house lights came up, to see what was going
on, etc.  New Order was long gone.  Did they give this crowd what it
wanted?  Yes:  on *their* terms and for 55 minutes.  Enraging a crowd can
hardly be termed selling out.  It was a statement of sorts, wholly
appropriate.

Their music is far subtler than Joy Division:  where Ian Curtis's pain and
recriminations were painted in bold strokes, New Order veils these
feelings.  Oblique interpretations are needed.  Not for headbangers.  I
can see how their "Low-life" could be interpreted as eight pointers to
wimpdom, but it bears repeated listening.  Besides, I saw the show, and
there is no mistaking what they mean when you see them live.

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-

jharman@watarts.UUCP (James Harman) (08/06/85)

Whoops, oh my god,  oh well, I guess we can't always be perfect ( or ever).
Ok, accept my grovel, I was POSITIVE that it was Reel To Reel etc,
consider me suitably chastised.

About New Order. They played the Kingswood in T.O. and I don't care
if they want to make a statement ( or whatever ), paying $15.00 to
see them play for 50 minutes is ridiculous. It seems to me that they
have gone considerably  downhill ever since Movement. ( I didn't go,
all this is from an ardent fan who went, and regrets it).

P.S. could someone mail me and explain to me how i can mail
and respond to these letters I have been recieving.

markb@druri.UUCP (BryantME) (08/07/85)

< Violent Femmes - What can you say about a band who, as a chorus,
<	sing " Why can't I get just one kiss?" ..........

The first Violent Femmes LP (simply titled "Violent Femmes") has got to
be one of my favorite albums of the past few years.  It seems this is
a group with very little middle ground - everyone I know either loves them
or HATES them (or have not heard of them).  Their second LP, "Hallowed Ground"
I do not like nearly as much.

I saw them in Denver this June, and they put on quite a show.  They even
made an appearance in a local record store, and did an acoustic set in
the store the afternoon before their show.  In the show in the store,
the drummer used a handy trash can as a drum.

Mark Bryant
AT&T Information Systems Labs
Denver, CO
(ihnp4!druxq!markb)

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (08/08/85)

In article <8508@watarts.UUCP> jharman@watarts.UUCP (James Harman) writes:

>Why does everyone go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and etc
>about K.B.She is good, but ........so?
>
>Let's talk about the true gods of music;
>
>The Waterboys
>R.E.M.
>Talking Heads
>Violent Femmes
>Joy Division
>Killing Joke
>Nine Nine Nine
>Iggy Pop
>XTC oh i could go on and on but....

But you left out the greats...Whatever happened to good old rock and roll?
Geez, these new-wavers are crawling up my spine...

Rush, Yes, Ten Years After, Deep Purple, to name a few...

Then as far as "new-wave" goes...U2, The Pretenders, The Police...
These bands have a hard driving "feeling" to them...Come on guys,
can't you feel it???