[comp.lang.perl] perl pager

pvo@neptune.uucp (Paul O'Neill) (06/13/90)

In article <8348@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:

>Included below is a VERY rudimentary pager using the curses version of
>perl.                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is this using Henk P. Penning's cterm.pl stuff?  Or stuff we haven't seen yet?

Thankx.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu		DoD 000006
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-737-3251

In article <18865@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> pvo@oce.orst.edu (Paul O'Neill) writes:
: In article <8348@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
: >
: >Included below is a VERY rudimentary pager using the curses version of
: >perl.                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: >
:
: Is this using Henk P. Penning's cterm.pl stuff?  Or stuff we haven't seen yet?

Stuff you haven't seen yet.  I don't intend to provide curses in normal perl,
but after the next patch you'll be able to build a version of perl that
supports whatever your favorite libraries are.  It basically is a way for
you to make C subroutines and variables look like Perl subroutines and
variables.

Larry

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (06/14/90)

In <8373@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>
lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall, praise him) writes:

>but after the next patch you'll be able to build a version of perl that
>supports whatever your favorite libraries are.  It basically is a way for
>you to make C subroutines and variables look like Perl subroutines and
>variables.

Can't you do some sort of dynamic loading so we don't get too many perl
executables?  What about stripped down perls and a perl compiler which
generates smaller stand-alone scripts?  Where is perl going, anyway?

-Mitch

"First there was GNU emacs; it had stuff like mail, news, ftp, csh, and
lisp built in, and filled 32 Gigabytes of Cray-2 memory per user.  Then
the GNU project expanded and gave us bison, ghostscript, bash, gcc,
gas, g++, gawk, pax, and a slew of other great stuff which forced us to
buy a few more Gigabytes of memory for the expanding cray-2 cluster.
GNU is rumored to come out with an operating system, but I suspect it
will require at least 4 Terabytes to boot the kernel...

Uzi (unix for z80) runs in 32K; v6 ran in 64K.  v7 kernels are under
80K for 68020s.

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (06/15/90)

According to wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle):
>Can't you do some sort of dynamic loading so we don't get too many perl
>executables?

If you want to put in a dynamic loader, Larry is providing a way for you
to do it.

Oh, you want HIM to do it?

TAANSTAFL, dude.
--