[comp.lang.perl] Suggestion on 'undump'

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (06/27/90)

Since 'where is undump for my XYZ machine' seems to be one of the
perennial Frequently Asked Questions about Perl, I suggest that the
manual make it CLEAR that this is a platform-specific concept which
may or may not be available for a specific port of Perl.  I suppose
it would be worth adding a list of known YES and NO environments
for undump support, with a note that the list is incomplete.
--
"NASA Announces New Deck Chair Arrangement For   \_/  Tom Neff
Space Station Titanic" -- press release 89-7654  \_/  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

One possible solution if you can't find an undump is to see whether
you've got GNU emacs on your system and if so, use its unexec routine
instead.  It's make an a.out instead of a core file.  This is what I did
for the CONVEX architecture, which will be shipped with the standard
CONVEX utilities in the next release of the O/S, due out to the general
(non-beta) public sometime towards the end of the year.

--tom
--

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchrist@convex.COM

nagel@ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (06/29/90)

tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>One possible solution if you can't find an undump is to see whether
>you've got GNU emacs on your system and if so, use its unexec routine
>instead.  It's make an a.out instead of a core file.  This is what I did
>for the CONVEX architecture, which will be shipped with the standard
>CONVEX utilities in the next release of the O/S, due out to the general
>(non-beta) public sometime towards the end of the year.

Since GNU Emacs runs on a whole lot of systems, perhaps support for
this should be added to perl?  I for one have no working version of
undump for any of Sun3/Sun4 OS 4.03 or Sequent Symmetry Dynix
3.0.12.  But emacs runs on all of them.  It sure would be nice to be
able to use this feature.  And now that perl is under the GPL, an
option requiring a piece of GNU Emacs shouldn't be that big of a
deal.  In the absense of that, perhaps you could post your mods, Tom?

--
Mark Nagel
UC Irvine Department of ICS   +----------------------------------------+