[comp.lang.perl] Index for Man Pages

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (07/04/90)

As something in between the excruciatingly detailed man pages,
and the invaluable (but compressed) Perl Reference Guide, I
have found that putting the following index on the front of
the man pages (which I keep in a notebook) is helpful.  On
the off chance that it may benefit someone else, here 'tis.
This is, of course, for version 3.0.1.5.  Patch level 18.

---------------------cut here---------------------------

SUBJECT			     PAGE NUMBER
-------			     -----------

DESCRIPTION			 1

OPTIONS				 2

DATA TYPES AND OBJECTS		 5

SYNTAX				14

COMPOUND STATEMENTS		14

SIMPLE STATEMENTS		17

EXPRESSIONS			18

	/PATTERN/		23

	?PATTERN?		23

	ACCEPT			24

	ATAN2			24

	BINMODE			24

	BIND			24

	CHDIR			24

	CHMOD			24

	CHOP			24

	CHOWN			25

	CHROOT			26

	CLOSE			26

	CLOSEDIR		27

	CONNECT			27

	COS			27

	CRYPT			27

	DBMCLOSE		27

	DBMOPEN			27

	DEFINED			28

	DELETE			28

	DIE			29

	DO			29

	DUMP			31

	EACH			31

	EOF			32

	EVAL			32

	EXEC			33

	EXIT			33

	EXP			34

	FCNTL			34

	FILENO			34

	FLOCK			34

	FORK			35

	GETC			35

	GETLOGIN		35

	GETPEERNAME		35

	GETPGRP			36

	GETPPID			36

	GETPRIORITY		36

	GETPWNAM		36

	GETGRNAM		36

	GETHOSTBYNAME		36

	GETNETBYNAME		36

	GETPROTOBYNAME		36

	GETPWUID		36

	GETGRGID		36

	GETSERVBYNAME		36

	GETHOSTBYADDR		36

	GETNETBYADDR		36

	GETPROTOBYNUMBER	36

	GETSERVBYPORT		36

	GETPWENT		36

	GETGRENT		36

	GETHOSTENT		37

	GETNETENT		37

	GETPROTOENT		37

	GETSERVENT		37

	SETPWENT		37

	SETGRENT		37

	SETHOSTENT		37

	SETNETENT		37

	SETPROTOENT		37

	SETSERVENT		37

	ENDPWENT		37

	ENDGRENT		37

	ENDHOSTENT		37

	ENDNETENT		37

	ENDPROTOENT		37

	ENDSERVENT		37

	GETSOCKNAME		38

	GETSOCKOPT		38

	GMTIME			38

	GOTO			38

	GREP			38

	HEX			39

	IOCTL			39

	INDEX			40

	INT			40

	JOIN			40

	KEYS			40

	KILL			41

	LAST			41

	LENGTH			41

	LINK			41

	LISTEN			41

	LOCAL			42

	LOCALTIME		43

	LOG			43

	LSTAT			43

	M/PATTERN/IO		43

	/PATTERN/IO		43

	MKDIR			44

	NEXT			44

	OCT			45

	OPEN			45

	OPENDIR			48

	ORD			48

	PACK			48

	PIPE			49

	POP			49

	PRINT			49

	PRINTF			50

	PUSH			50

	Q/STRING/		50

	QQ/STRING/		50

	RAND			51

	READ			51

	READDIR			51

	READLINK		51

	RECV			52

	REDO			52

	RENAME			52

	RESET			52

	RETURN			53

	REVERSE			53

	REWINDDIR		53

	RINDEX			53

	RMDIR			53

	S/PATTERN/REPLACEMENT/GIEO	53

	SEEK			54

	SEEKDIR			54

	SELECT			55

	SETPGRP			56

	SEND			56

	SETPRIORITY		56

	SETSOCKOPT		56

	SHIFT			56

	SHUTDOWN		56

	SIN			57

	SLEEP			57

	SOCKET			57

	SOCKETPAIR		57

	SORT			57

	SPLICE			58

	SPLIT			59

	SPRINTF			60

	SQRT			60

	SRAND			60

	STAT			60

	STUDY			61

	SUBSTR			62

	SYSCALL			63

	SYSTEM			63

	SYMLINK			63

	TELL			63

	TELLDIR			64

	TIME			64

	TIMES			64

	TR			64

	Y			64

	UMASK			64

	UNDEF			65

	UNLINK			65

	UNPACK			65

	UNSHIFT			66

	UTIME			66

	VALUES			66

	VEC			66

	WAIT			67

	WANTARRAY		67

	WARN			67

	WRITE			67

PRECEDENCE			68

SUBROUTINES			69

PASSING BY REFERENCE		71

REGULAR EXPRESSIONS		72

FORMATS				73

INTERPROCESS COMMUNICATION	76

PREDEFINED NAMES		77

PACKAGES			83

STYLE				85

DEBUGGING			86

SETUID SCRIPTS			88

ENVIRONMENT			90

TRAPS				91

BUGS				93
--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputation Computations Research Institute
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu  | Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306

weisberg@hpccc.HP.COM (Len Weisberg) (07/14/90)

John Nall writes:
> As something in between the excruciatingly detailed man pages,
> and the invaluable (but compressed) Perl Reference Guide, I
> have found that putting the following index on the front of
> the man pages (which I keep in a notebook) is helpful.  On
> the off chance that it may benefit someone else, here 'tis.
> This is, of course, for version 3.0.1.5.  Patch level 18.
>
> ---------------------cut here---------------------------

  .....  table of contents deleted  ......

I have also found this idea to be very useful.
My version, included below, omits most of the big alphabetical list of
functions so that the whole table of contents will fit on one page.
I have also added some annotations to help find items whose locations
are not obvious.  Very subjective, of course.  Comments are welcome.

I hope someday to write some ?roff macros so that this will always be
printed out with correct page numbers, but meanwhile that is a manual
process.  If you are photocopying a number of copies, that is no problem,
anyway.  Also note, of course, that our page number mileage does vary.

Here goes.  Enjoy.

- Len Weisberg - HP Corp Computing & Services - weisberg@corp.HP.COM

perl(1)      UNIX System V  (Release 3.0 Patchlevel 18)           perl(1)

    	    Table of Contents

 1 - NAME
 1 - SYNOPSIS
 1 - DESCRIPTION
 1 -   intro;  locating input script
 4 - Data Types and Objects
 4 -   context;  "undefined";  scalars
 5 -   arrays;  associative arrays;  lvalues;  namespaces
 6 -   literals;  quoting;
 7 -   list assignment
 9 -   backticks - `...` ;  filehandles
 9 -   ARGV and <>
11 - Syntax
11 - Compound statements
13 -   "case"-like blocks
14 - Simple statements
14 -   conditional modifiers
15 - Expressions
15 -   in perl, not in C:
15 -   -  .. (range) operator
16 -   -  file-tests
17 -   in C, not in perl;   ++ string
19 -   alphabetical catalog of operators (builtin functions)
          (including the following topics)
24 -   -  do: &foo(@args)
24 -   -  do: #include and cpp
25 -   -  dump:  undump
26 -   -  eof:  <> line numbers
32 -   -  keys:  Environment - %ENV
35 -   -  m/PATTERN/:  /PATTERN/
36 -   -  open:  files,  pipes
38 -   -  open:  redirecting stdin/stdout
39 -   -  pack:  binary structures
51 -   -  system:  shell escape
53 -   -  utime:  like touch(1)
55 - Precedence
56 - Subroutines
58 - Passing By Reference
58 - Regular Expressions
60 - Formats
62 - Interprocess Communication
63 - Predefined Names
68 - Packages
69 - Style
70 - Debugging
72 - Setuid Scripts
73 - ENVIRONMENT
74 - AUTHOR
74 - FILES
74 - SEE ALSO
74 - DIAGNOSTICS
74 - TRAPS (differences from awk, C, sed, shells)
76 - BUGS

weisberg@hpcc01.HP.COM (Len Weisberg) (07/24/90)

I wrote a week or so ago:
> I have also found this idea to be very useful.
> My version, included below, omits most of the big alphabetical list of
> functions so that the whole table of contents will fit on one page.
> I have also added some annotations to help find items whose locations
> are not obvious.  Very subjective, of course.  Comments are welcome.
>
> I hope someday to write some ?roff macros so that this will always be
> printed out with correct page numbers, but meanwhile that is a manual
> process.  If you are photocopying a number of copies, that is no problem,
> anyway.  Also note, of course, that our page number mileage does vary.

Since there has been no comment, I am wondering if anyone is interested in
this idea.  Has anyone tried to tailor one for their own printing?
If I did indeed come up with ?roff macros, would there be any chance that
their use would be incorporated into the official manpage source?

Anyway, In my last pass through the manual, I came up with a few more
hard-to-find items; so here's my new version of the annotated
Table of Contents:

- Len Weisberg - HP Corp Computing & Services - weisberg@corp.HP.COM

perl(1)      UNIX System V  (Release 3.0 Patchlevel 18)           perl(1)

      Table of Contents (annotated with selected hard-to-find topics)

 1 - NAME; SYNOPSIS
 1 - DESCRIPTION
 1 -   intro;  locating input script
 1 - Command line options (including:)
 3 -   -S - alternative to #!
 4 - Data Types and Objects
 4 -   context;  "undefined";  scalars
 5 -   arrays;  associative arrays;  lvalues;  namespaces
 6 -   literals;  quoting;
 7 -   list assignment
 9 -   backticks - `...` ;  filehandles
 9 -   ARGV and <>
10 -   filename globbing
11 - Syntax
11 - Compound statements
13 -   "case"-like blocks
14 - Simple statements
14 -   conditional modifiers
15 - Expressions
15 -   in perl, not in C (including:)
15 -   -  .. (range) operator
16 -   -  file-tests
17 -   in C, not in perl;   ++ string
19 -   alphabetical catalog of operators (builtin functions)
          (including the following topics:)
24 -   -  do: &foo(@args)
24 -   -  do: #include and cpp
25 -   -  dump:  undump
26 -   -  eof:  <> line numbers
32 -   -  keys:  Environment - %ENV
35 -   -  m/PATTERN/:  /PATTERN/
36 -   -  open:  files,  pipes
38 -   -  open:  redirecting stdin/stdout
39 -   -  pack:  binary structures
51 -   -  system:  shell escape
53 -   -  utime:  like touch(1)
55 - Precedence
56 - Subroutines
58 - Passing By Reference
58 - Regular Expressions
60 - Formats
62 - Interprocess Communication
63 - Predefined Names (including:)
66 -   $; - multidimensional array emulation
68 - Packages
69 - Style
70 - Debugging
72 - Setuid Scripts
73 - ENVIRONMENT
74 - AUTHOR;  FILES;  SEE ALSO;  DIAGNOSTICS