[comp.lang.perl] Perl Reference Manual

fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (08/02/90)

Can anyone tell me where I can FTP a PERL Reference Manual or at least
something more than the MAN page from? Thanks.

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug2.103054@czar.Princeton.EDU>, fuchs@czar (Ira Fuchs) writes:
| Can anyone tell me where I can FTP a PERL Reference Manual or at least
| something more than the MAN page from? Thanks.

Well, in about three months, there'll be an 800-number that you can
call to get a 200-page book delivered to your doorstep (written by
Larry and me, published by Nutshell).  In the interim, there are some
quick-reference cards that summarize pieces of the manpage in a more
orderly format.  I don't recall offhand whether those are offered for
anon-FTP, however, and I'm not sure that they offer more in the way of
examples, which seems to be what everyone is screaming for.  Stay
tuned to this newsgroup, and ask your questions here.  There are many
Perl experts here, all willing to give you (sometimes conflicting :-)
answers.

printf "%s %s %s %s", "Just", "another", "Perl", "hacker,"
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (08/03/90)

In <1990Aug2.103054@czar.Princeton.EDU> fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) writes:

   | Can anyone tell me where I can FTP a PERL Reference Manual or at least
   | something more than the MAN page from? Thanks.

Yes, there are reference guides and cards, all designed bij Johan
Vromans <jv@mh.nl>. These are available for anonymous FTP from
our archive server: sol.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
Look in the "pub/DOC" directory for the "perl-*" files (the INDEX file in
that directory describes what they are).

				enjoy,
						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (08/05/90)

>Well, in about three months, there'll be an 800-number that you can
>call to get a 200-page book delivered to your doorstep (written by
>Larry and me, published by Nutshell).  In the interim, there are some

One feature that would be nice to go along with your book is a stack of
disks, or whatever, with a machine-readable copy of the book.  When
you're looking for info on a particular item there's nothing like
blasting through the docs on the computer.  And cut-and-paste on the
examples would be pretty nice too.

I think the NeXT machine comes with most or all of it's docs online.
Nice feature.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug5.115930.10276@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
|>Well, in about three months, there'll be an 800-number that you can
|>call to get a 200-page book delivered to your doorstep (written by
|>Larry and me, published by Nutshell).  In the interim, there are some
|One feature that would be nice to go along with your book is a stack of
|disks, or whatever, with a machine-readable copy of the book.  When
|you're looking for info on a particular item there's nothing like
|blasting through the docs on the computer.  And cut-and-paste on the
|examples would be pretty nice too.

This is probably unworkable, considering the number of different machines
perl is available for, and the number of different types of media that
would be needed.

However, has thought been given to making the examples in the book
available over the net?  I don't need or want the full text of the book,
but not having to type in the examples to use them would be very handy.
Randal, Larry, have you talked with the publisher about this?  Any feeling
if it's possible?
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (08/07/90)

In article <2311@polari.UUCP>, 6sigma2@polari (Brian Matthews) writes:
| However, has thought been given to making the examples in the book
| available over the net?  I don't need or want the full text of the book,
| but not having to type in the examples to use them would be very handy.
| Randal, Larry, have you talked with the publisher about this?  Any feeling
| if it's possible?

Larry and I are in discussion right now about how much of the book to
make available in machine-readable format.  Your requests are being
noted.  (I hadn't thought of making just the examples available...
that's a good one!)

Stay tuned... it's getting closer...
--

ambar@ora.com (Jean Marie Diaz) (08/07/90)

   From: 6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews)
   Date: 5 Aug 90 17:35:36 GMT

   However, has thought been given to making the examples in the book
   available over the net?  I don't need or want the full text of the book,
   but not having to type in the examples to use them would be very handy.

We make the programming examples from our books available from uunet
via anonymous {uucp,ftp}.  So expect
uunet!/usr/spool/ftp/nutshell/perl/examples.shar.Z (or some such) to
appear about the same time the book does....

				AMBAR
ambar@ora.com						uunet!ora!ambar
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.  Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
90 Sherman Street, Cambridge, MA 02140; 617-354-5800
Book Orders => 632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
               800-338-NUTS (in CA 800-533-NUTS) FAX 707-829-0104

libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug6.170217.20065@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
>In article <2311@polari.UUCP>, 6sigma2@polari (Brian Matthews) writes:
>| However, has thought been given to making the examples in the book
>| available over the net?  I don't need or want the full text of the book,
>| but not having to type in the examples to use them would be very handy.
>| Randal, Larry, have you talked with the publisher about this?  Any feeling
>| if it's possible?
>
>Larry and I are in discussion right now about how much of the book to
>make available in machine-readable format.  Your requests are being
>noted.  (I hadn't thought of making just the examples available...
>that's a good one!)

This discussion is silly.  Obviously, this book is a for-profit
venture.  If not, it would be made accessible through the same route
that Perl is now.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with book selling, but why
would you expect the authors to make the examples machine-readable
when you say "I don't need or want the full text of the book".  If you
aren't going to buy the book, the author's have nothing to gain by
publishing it commercially to begin with.

Ideally, the authors would be happy to sell a completely machine-
readable copy.  This would allow readers to search through it on-line.
But if you expect to download it from jpl.nasa.gov, you're crazy.

	>Stay tuned... it's getting closer...
	>--
	>/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095

Anyway, I resent these "advertisements" which are clearly only for
profit.  (Well, one is ok, but to see this commercial so frequently is
annoying - even more so because the product doesn't exist yet.)

I'm in no way denigrating the wonderful things Larry has brought us
over the years for no charge.  Larry is entitled to make money on any
efforts people are willing to pay for.  I just don't care to see them
repeatedly advertised.

Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

In article <2311@polari.UUCP> 6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
: However, has thought been given to making the examples in the book
: available over the net?  I don't need or want the full text of the book,
: but not having to type in the examples to use them would be very handy.
: Randal, Larry, have you talked with the publisher about this?  Any feeling
: if it's possible?

Heh.  Many of the examples have already been on the net...

I don't think there's a problem with making the examples available.

Larry

In article <5611@muffin.cme.nist.gov> libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:
: Anyway, I resent these "advertisements" which are clearly only for
: profit.  (Well, one is ok, but to see this commercial so frequently is
: annoying - even more so because the product doesn't exist yet.)

Actually, we just "advertise" to keep up our enthusiasm for writing.
If we get other people excited then we have to stay excited too...  :-)

Mind you, it wouldn't BOTHER me if it sold 200,000 copies the first year,
but I 'ave me doubts about that.

Actually, though, I don't much consider the "advertising" in comp.lang.perl
to be commercial activity.  It's pretty much preaching to the converted.
In fact, the more you've read comp.lang.perl, the less likely you are
to need the book in the first place.  Most of the "advertising" is more
like a status report to the SA's who keep getting asked "Is there
a book describing this thing you keep pushing?  When's it coming out?"

And a little bit of it is just our excitement tinging what we say.

And I'm sure a little of it is just plain old-fashioned bragging...  :-)

Larry

6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (08/08/90)

In article <5611@muffin.cme.nist.gov> libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:
|In article <2311@polari.UUCP>, 6sigma2@polari (Brian Matthews) writes:
|| However, has thought been given to making the examples in the book
|| available over the net?  I don't need or want the full text of the book,
|| but not having to type in the examples to use them would be very handy.
|| Randal, Larry, have you talked with the publisher about this?  Any feeling
|| if it's possible?
|Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with book selling, but why
|would you expect the authors to make the examples machine-readable
|when you say "I don't need or want the full text of the book".

Sorry, I worded that poorly.  What I meant was, "I don't need or want
the full text of the book *in machine readable format*"  I plan on
purchasing at least one copy of the book for myself, and a couple
people in my office will probably want copies too.  And if I can't
get the examples in machine readable format, I'll probably end up
typing a lot of them in, and so will a lot of other people.  That's
why it would be nice to have the examples posted or available for
ftp or something.

Of course this is all moot, as someone from O'Reilly has already posted
saying the examples will be available on uunet.
--

In article <9026@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
|In article <2311@polari.UUCP> 6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
|: However, has thought been given to making the examples in the book
|: available over the net?
|Heh.  Many of the examples have already been on the net...

Yes, but in the book I will expect you and Randal to have worked your
magic perl optimizers on them so they're fast, efficient, and no more
than two lines long :-)
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (08/08/90)

In article <2320@polari.UUCP>, 6sigma2@polari (Brian Matthews) writes:
| In article <9026@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
| |In article <2311@polari.UUCP> 6sigma2@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
| |: However, has thought been given to making the examples in the book
| |: available over the net?
| |Heh.  Many of the examples have already been on the net...
|
| Yes, but in the book I will expect you and Randal to have worked your
| magic perl optimizers on them so they're fast, efficient, and no more
| than two lines long :-)

Actually, every example that ends up in the book will simply be
abbreviated as "example1;", "example2;", on up to "example2924;", and
Larry will add the code into the next patch to implement these tokens
as highly optimized C performing the necessary functions for the
example.

JAPH_2147; # :-)