[comp.lang.perl] Applying patches 20-23 results in lotsa *.rej files

bernards@ecn.nl (Marcel Bernards) (08/14/90)

The subject says it all.

I got a lot of .rej after patch 20 21 22 23 and probably more.

20 results in a unknown config_h.SH ????

the perl manual patches resulst the same questions

 Here are the rejects:

./t/base.lex.rej
./t/comp.cpp.rej
./x2p/a2p.y.rej
./x2p/a2py.c.rej
./perl.man.4.rej
./perl.man.3.rej
./msdos/README.msdos.rej
./patchlevel.h.rej
./arg.h.rej
./cmd.c.rej
./cmd.h.rej
./config_h.SH.rej
./perl.man.1.rej
./perl.man.2.rej

I build all again from patchlevel 0 to 27 , same problems.

are some patches bogus ????
help me PLEEZZZZ
--
Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, PHONE: (+31 /0)2246 4579 FAX: (+31 /0)2246 1864

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) (08/15/90)

In <1990Aug14.105602.15224@ecn.nl> bernards@ecn.nl (Marcel Bernards) writes:

>I got a lot of .rej after patch 20 21 22 23 and probably more.
>20 results in a unknown config_h.SH ????

I had some similar but not identical problems.  I looks like some filenames
with internal dots (perl.man.2) got changed to have internal underscores
instead (perl_man.2) which I assumed had something to do with the PCDOS port.
Unfortunately, the filenames here never changed and therefore patch couldn't
find the file (_) that the patch was meant for since it was still (.).

On these it was sometimes obvious, although the lack of ability to shell
escape and look when patch asked for a filename made it hard.

But others were just weird.  Some of the files that were expected in the test
directory were not there and neither was anything resembling them.

Anyone have any idea what's gone wrong?  I had a working PL15 perl and added
16 to 27 all in a row, with lots of problems and no useful system in the end.
Configure -d noticed I didn't have a complete perl kit any more.
--
 Irving Wolfe    Happy Man Corp.   irv@happym.wa.com    206/463-9399 ext.101
 4410 SW Point Robinson Road,  Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399     fax ext.116