[comp.lang.perl] dirent.h problem

gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Al Gaspar) (08/16/90)

I am trying to bring up perl 3.0; patchlevel 28 under SysVr3 on a
UNISYS 5000/95.  I have dirent.h and Configure has defined READDIR
and I_DIRENT config.h.  However, when I do a make the compile on
perl.c fails with a syntax error on line 73 of stab.h.  These are
the relevant lines in that file:

72  #ifdef READDIR
73      DIR		*dirp;		/* for opendir, readdir, etc */
74  #endif

I presume that I am getting a syntax error because it doesn't know
anything about a type "DIR".  A struct DIR is typedefed in my
<sys/dirent.h> file, which is included in my <dirent.h>.  The file
<dirent.h> is included before "stab.h" in perl.h and is dependent
on I_DIRENT being defined and M_XENIX not being defined.  That is
all correct.  Am I missing something here?  Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Cheers--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
USAMC SIMA, ATTN:  AMXSI-TTC, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578

rrr@u02.svl.cdc.com (rich ragan) (08/18/90)

In <1990Aug16.132555.20137@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU> gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Al Gaspar) writes:

>I am trying to bring up perl 3.0; patchlevel 28 under SysVr3 on a
>UNISYS 5000/95.  I have dirent.h and Configure has defined READDIR
>and I_DIRENT config.h.  However, when I do a make the compile on
>perl.c fails with a syntax error on line 73 of stab.h.  These are
>the relevant lines in that file:

>72  #ifdef READDIR
>73      DIR		*dirp;		/* for opendir, readdir, etc */
>74  #endif

I had the same error and finally ended up undefining READDIR
which got perl to build OK and pass all the test so I guess
I didn't lose too much facility. However, I remain curious
about this.
--
Richard R. Ragan (408) 496-4340
Control Data Corp., Silicon Valley Operations

frech@mwraaa.army.mil (Norman R. Frech CPLS) (08/21/90)

Al,

I compiled patchlevel 28 on my Sperry with no problems.  I did however,
get the fresh kits off Larry's machine (we had a recent head crash and
instead of dealing with the backup tapes I just downloaded the new kits.)
I used the defaults off the Configure almost completely and all the
tests passed.

Norm Frech <frech@mwraaa.army.mil>