[comp.lang.perl] How to Learn Perl?

shun@cbnewsh.att.com (shun.cheung) (09/21/90)

I am new to this group and would like to learn Perl.
What is the best book or manual around? Please follow up
or send e-mail to me directly. Thanks in advance.

--
-- Shun Cheung, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Middletown, New Jersey
     electronic: shun@hou2d.att.com,  att!hou2d!shun,  or shun@cbnewsh.att.com

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.101713.15459@cbnewsh.att.com>, shun@cbnewsh (shun.cheung) writes:
| I am new to this group and would like to learn Perl.
| What is the best book or manual around? Please follow up
| or send e-mail to me directly. Thanks in advance.

Dare I say? :-)

The best manual around is the *only* manual around... what you get
when you type "man perl".  It's roughly 71 troff pages.

It will soon have some competition; the 275-page draft (not including
index, toc, or front matter) is sitting within arms reach here at my
cubicle...  I just made what I hope is the next-to-last edit pass on
"the book".

There are also some wonderful reference cards and texinfo files.
Someone else will have to holler about their own availability.  I've
been too busy hacking this one (with Larry) to remember just now where
they are.

And then, there's always this newsgroup. :-)

print "Just another Perl [book] hacker,"
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

composer@chem.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) (09/23/90)

In article <1990Sep22.103545.16583@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
 > There are also some wonderful reference cards and texinfo files.
 > Someone else will have to holler about their own availability.  I've
 > been too busy hacking this one (with Larry) to remember just now where
 > they are.

The DRAFT alpha-release of the Texinfo version of the perl man page can
be found via anonymous ftp in the chem.bu.edu:/pub/perl-manual directory.
The pre-formatted info files are there.  The current edition of the
Texinfo perl manual is 0.3a and currently contains the same
information/text as the perl unix-style man page, as of perl version 3.0
patchlevel 28.  In the future, new tutorial and examples sections will
hopefully be added.

 > print "Just another Perl [book] hacker,"

print "Just a different Perl [book] hacker (with no spare time to do so),"

				-jeff

Jeff Kellem
Internet: composer@chem.bu.edu

rich@Rice.edu (Richard Murphey) (09/23/90)

In article <COMPOSER.90Sep22131422@chem.bu.edu> composer@chem.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) writes:
   The DRAFT alpha-release of the Texinfo version of the perl man page can
   be found via anonymous ftp in the chem.bu.edu:/pub/perl-manual directory.
   The pre-formatted info files are there.  The current edition of the
   Texinfo perl manual is 0.3a and currently contains the same
   information/text as the perl unix-style man page, as of perl version 3.0
   patchlevel 28.  In the future, new tutorial and examples sections will
   hopefully be added.

There is also a texinfo version of the reference card available on
qed.rice.edu (128.42.4.38) in /pub/perlref.texinfo.Z.  Rich

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (09/23/90)

}
merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) wrote:
} The best manual around is the *only* manual around... what you get
} when you type "man perl".  It's roughly 71 troff pages.

There are a lot of gripes around about the man page.  But it was the way
I learned perl (ok, so it was the way *everbody* except Larry learned
perl; read on) .  I hadn't done a whole lot of shell, awk or sed
programming before I read the perl man page, so if anybody should have
gotten lost, I should have.  I found that one good read through of the
man page coupled with converting a simple awk script or two to a perl script
(using a2p) and examining the results was all I needed to launch me into
perl.  Perl scripts now constitute the very heart of the data management
and auto code generation tools on our project and shell, awk and sed
programming make a lot more sense after having used perl.

In summary, the best way to learn is to simply jump in and *do*
something with it.
--
mark@DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B