[comp.lang.perl] perl kit28 problem on apollo DN 3500

defert@apostroph.cernvax.cern.ch (Philippe Defert) (10/02/90)

I generated perl kit 28 on an apollo 3500 using gcc:

- everything compiled correctly

- but test failed in 3 places, 2 of which do not seem important

  . op.fs on test 5 ( $mode from stat)
  . op.dbm on test 2 ( $mode from stat)

  and the last failure seems to be really problematic, it is:

  . op.regexp that produces a segmentation fault at the 46 th line
    of the test regexp file, and on some other following lines that I
    tested separately.

Has anybody already faced these problems ?
Any hints ?
Can I anyhow rely on this perl when it does not crash ?

Any help would be welcome.
Thanks
Philippe.
--

--------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
Philippe Defert: Computing and Networks Division / Application Software Group/

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (10/03/90)

In article <DEFERT.90Oct2114010@apostroph.cernvax.cern.ch> defert@apostroph.cernvax.cern.ch (Philippe Defert) writes:

>I generated perl kit 28 on an apollo 3500 using gcc:
>- everything compiled correctly
>- but test failed in 3 places, 2 of which do not seem important
>  . op.fs on test 5 ( $mode from stat)
>  . op.dbm on test 2 ( $mode from stat)
>  and the last failure seems to be really problematic, it is:
>  . op.regexp that produces a segmentation fault at the 46 th line
>    of the test regexp file, and on some other following lines that I
>    tested separately.
>
>[rest deleted]

Well, I built Perl, patch level 28, on an Apollo 3500 and it passes all the
tests.  But I did not use gcc.  I did it under bsd4.3, SR10.2, using /bin/cc.
Here's how I answered the Configure script questions:

	Question			Answer

	Models				none
	Compiler			cc
	Optimizer			-O
	Additional cc flags		-DDEBUGGING
	Additional ld flags		-ldbm -lclib
	Byte Order			4321
	Library				/lib/libc
	Setuid/setgid emulation		n
	Use index(), not strchr()	y
	Void support flag bits total	7
	Group ids for getgroups()	int
	Size of integer			4
	Bits in rand			31
	User ids in getuid()		uid_t
	Use malloc that comes with Perl y
	Compiler compiler		yacc

NOTE:  /bin/cc invokes Apollo's Unix pre-processor which then invokes Apollo's
C compiler.  Apollo's C library routines are contained in TWO libraries:
/lib/libc and /lib/clib.  The compiler knows about both libraries and searches
both automatically.  To ensure that the Configure script finds everything
available on the Apollo, you must inform the script about BOTH libraries.
However, since the Compiler finds /lib/clib on its own, you must REMOVE
reference to it in the Makefiles generated by Configure.

Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications               OR apcihq!apcidfw!digi!kgallagh

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (10/05/90)

defert@apostroph.cernvax.cern.ch (Philippe Defert) writes:

>I generated perl kit 28 on an apollo 3500 using gcc:

>- everything compiled correctly

>- but test failed in 3 places, 2 of which do not seem important

>  . op.fs on test 5 ( $mode from stat)
>  . op.dbm on test 2 ( $mode from stat)

>  and the last failure seems to be really problematic, it is:

>  . op.regexp that produces a segmentation fault at the 46 th line
>    of the test regexp file, and on some other following lines that I
>    tested separately.

>Has anybody already faced these problems ?
>Any hints ?

Don't compile with the optimization flag. All should then be well

			ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group