[comp.lang.perl] Utils collection?

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (10/15/90)

I was just wondering if there is a collection somewhere of Perl versions
of the popular utils, like tail, head, cut, etc. (I already recreated
tail for a recent project) Will this stuff be in "the Book"?

Also, any idea on when V4 will appear? What group will it be posted in?

perl -e 'print "Just another Perl newbie\n"'
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

In article <9H12q2w163w@cybrspc> roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
: I was just wondering if there is a collection somewhere of Perl versions
: of the popular utils, like tail, head, cut, etc. (I already recreated
: tail for a recent project) Will this stuff be in "the Book"?

I've seen versions of some of these, but I don't know of a place that keeps
them.  I'll be starting a collection here, but it'll take a while to set up.

For the most part, we've avoided cloning Unix utilities in the Book.  Not
because we thought it wouldn't be useful, but there was so much good new
stuff...  I think an inetd snuck in somewhere, though, and of course there
are several grep variants.

: Also, any idea on when V4 will appear? What group will it be posted in?

The patches leading up to V4 will appear shortly.  V4 isn't revolutionary--it's
just what the Book documents.  The patches will appear as 3.0 patches, and
when everyone has had their say, I'll call it 4.0 and send it off to one of
the sources groups--probably comp.misc.sources, since Perl is no longer just
a Unix thingie.

Larry

iiasax@tuvie (IIASA Laxenburg) (10/15/90)

In article <9965@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
)The patches leading up to V4 will appear shortly.  V4 isn't revolutionary--it's
)just what the Book documents.  The patches will appear as 3.0 patches, and
)when everyone has had their say, I'll call it 4.0 and send it off to one of
)the sources groups--probably comp.misc.sources, since Perl is no longer just
)a Unix thingie.

Not to mention the fact that it would appear in c.s.m about ten times
as fast as in c.s.u :-) ...

Wolf

jmc@teqsoft.UUCP (Jack Cloninger) (10/16/90)

lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:

>In article <9H12q2w163w@cybrspc> roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>: I was just wondering if there is a collection somewhere of Perl versions
>: of the popular utils, like tail, head, cut, etc. (I already recreated
>: tail for a recent project) Will this stuff be in "the Book"?
                                                     ^^^^^^^^
[lines deleted]

>The patches leading up to V4 will appear shortly.  V4 isn't revolutionary--it's
>just what the Book documents.  The patches will appear as 3.0 patches, and
           ^^^^^^^^
Could you post (or email) information about this Book?  Is it a published
book or something available from the net?  I am beginning to really love
Perl and I know that others on other net nodes are also curious about any
more info that might be available about it.  Thanks, and thanks for
writing Perl!

Jack
--
Jack Cloninger, TeqSoft, 112 US Highway 1, Tequesta, FL 33469    B-)
...uunet!comtst!teqsoft!jmc   Phone: 407-747-7163  Fax: 407-747-0354