[comp.lang.perl] book on Perl needed

mwl@bucsf.bu.edu ( Manny Lee ) (10/27/90)

Can anyone recommend me a good book
on Perl?  i need one with lotsa examples,
easy to understand, and pretty complete
(with step by step approach).

thanx in advance

	mwl@bucsf.bu.edu

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (10/27/90)

In article <MWL.90Oct26184918@bucsf.bu.edu>, mwl@bucsf ( Manny Lee ) writes:
| Can anyone recommend me a good book
| on Perl?  i need one with lotsa examples,
| easy to understand, and pretty complete
| (with step by step approach).

Dare I speak? :-)

Wait a few weeks... keep watching here.  Your wish will be granted.

print "Just another Perl [book] hacker,"
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

jerbil@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph R. Beckenbach) (10/29/90)

>Wait a few weeks... keep watching here.  Your wish will be granted.

	What, and lose one of the best running gags that I've seen on
the network in a long time?  :-) :-)

		Joseph Beckenbach

usenet@carssdf.UUCP (John Watson) (10/30/90)

On this forthcomming book,  I'm sure I am not the only one who realy needs
this book to "indoctrinate" some fellow programmers, BADLY!, and who does
not want to wait for a general release to the local book stores.

Please forget for a moment the Comercialization of the Net, and any related
flame, I realy don't give a darn.

This is also not a price sensitive issue.

Is someone (Randal are you listening) makeing a list.  Is there a place to
send money to guarantee earliest possible delivery.

When the first 1000 or so copies are printed I would like 3.

     John Watson     rutgers!carssdf!usenet

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (10/31/90)

In article <264@carssdf.UUCP>, usenet@carssdf (John Watson) writes:
| On this forthcomming book,  I'm sure I am not the only one who realy needs
| this book to "indoctrinate" some fellow programmers, BADLY!, and who does
| not want to wait for a general release to the local book stores.
|
| Please forget for a moment the Comercialization of the Net, and any related
| flame, I realy don't give a darn.
|
| This is also not a price sensitive issue.
|
| Is someone (Randal are you listening) makeing a list.  Is there a place to
| send money to guarantee earliest possible delivery.
|
| When the first 1000 or so copies are printed I would like 3.

Well, geez, what can I say to an offer like that?  (I could say that
I'll trade the first three copies *I* get for Paula Abdul's home
number, but that'd be unfair to those of you that don't live in LA. :-)

I'm pretty sure that the publisher will have them available for
mail-order simultaneously with release to the stores.  Wait for the
announcement... please!  (I've been dinged already for sounding
commercial here... let me assure you that this book is a non-profit
venture on my part, unless perchance *every* one of you buys three
copies for Christmas presents this year.)

'nuff said.  Wait.  It's around the corner.
--

ambar@ora.com (Jean Marie Diaz) (10/31/90)

   From: usenet@carssdf.UUCP (John Watson)
   Date: 30 Oct 90 01:46:39 GMT

   Is someone (Randal are you listening) makeing a list.  Is there a place to
   send money to guarantee earliest possible delivery.

I'm sure that the folks at the other end of the 800 number in my .sig
would be glad to take your order.  The book is scheduled for
availability in mid-January.  Usenix goers take note: if you buy it at
Usenix, you get a free T-shirt too.

				AMBAR
ambar@ora.com						uunet!ora!ambar
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.  Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
90 Sherman Street, Cambridge, MA 02140; 617-354-5800
Book Orders => 632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
               800-DEV-NUTS (that's 800-338-6887) FAX 707-829-0104

In article <1990Oct30.172402.17085@ora.com>, ambar@ora (Jean Marie Diaz) writes:
| I'm sure that the folks at the other end of the 800 number in my .sig
| would be glad to take your order.  The book is scheduled for
| availability in mid-January.  Usenix goers take note: if you buy it at
| Usenix, you get a free T-shirt too.

Well, as long as Ambar spilled the beans, I might as well too.  If you
buy it at Usenix, you will not only get a free T-shirt, but there will
probably be some scrawling inside the cover (you can't read my
signature, but you tell everyone it *was* me :-).  (Maybe even two
signatures, if everything works out [nudging Larry]... :-)

print "Just another Perl [book] hacker (with bad handwriting),"
--

koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.163118.26320@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
>I'm pretty sure that the publisher will have them available for
>mail-order simultaneously with release to the stores.  Wait for the

What about mailorder from overseas (Europe,Asia). I'd like to have The Book
also very soon, but will it be published outside the States also very soon
(by experience: No), and if not, where can I order it for mail-delivery to
Singapore. Or rather: Who can state the terms for such a delivery
(cost of shipping etc. I'd like to know beforehand...)

Thx, Mathias

--
Mathias Koerber  | S iemens | Tel: +65 / 7473828-1852       | Fax: +65/7474331
2 Kallang Sector | N ixdorf | USA: uunet!nixbur!koerber.sin | nerv: koerber.sin