[comp.lang.perl] metaconfig

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) (10/24/90)

lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
>In article <1990Oct22.082228.6230@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>: While I'm here,  Larry: will you be including the (vast) amount of portability
>: wisdom added by the development of perl 3 into a new release of
>: metaconfig at any time ?

Just so you're sure there's more than one of us who might like to use a
newer metaconfig, I'd like to second that.  Dist V2 neeeded some mild hacks
to work with the newer versions of perl (problems with variable names like
"package").

>I'm planning to.  (Hoping to?)

Great!

>Larry

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu

na@iitb.fhg.de (Reinhold Nagel) (10/31/90)

Hallo folks!

Here is a relatively new perl fan that has followed the news in comp.lang.perl
for about half a year or so (since patchlevel 27, to give a perlese date).

I especially liked the procedure of installing perl (Configure, make depend,
make, make test, make install).

Lately I have seen requests for "metaconfig" which I think is just the
package I need for a job I have to do here.

I tried to locate a version of this package on the internet, but without luck.

My questions:
*Does* a package "metaconfig" exist, that contains more than is already in
the perl-kits?
If so, where can I get it?
When will there be the new (the first) release of such a package?

Any help welcome!

                Reinhold Nagel
                Fraunhofer-Institut
                   fuer Informations- und Datenverarbeitung IITB
                Fraunhoferstr. 1
                D-7500 Karlsruhe 1
                Tel.:    (0721) 6091-331
   ___      __  Telefax: (0721) 6091-413
  /__  /_  /_   Telex:   7825931
 /    / / /_/   Email:   na@iitb.fhg.de

In article <9010311425.AA12640@se01.iitb.fhg.de> na@iitb.fhg.de (Reinhold Nagel) writes:
: Lately I have seen requests for "metaconfig" which I think is just the
: package I need for a job I have to do here.

It's part of another package called "dist".  An ancient version of it can
be found on this machine.

: My questions:
: *Does* a package "metaconfig" exist, that contains more than is already in
: the perl-kits?

The package you can currently ftp has some units not used by Perl, and Perl
has some units not in that version of metaconfig.

: When will there be the new (the first) release of such a package?

Hopefully a new version can be produced pretty soon, but I can't promise
at what time, since it's a back burner project.  Hokey has been working it
over, regularizing it and such, and I hope to use his version when I switch
to Perl 4.0.

Larry