[net.followup] Rigor

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (05/17/84)

Date: Thu, 17-May-84 11:12:40 PDT

racy> <3819@utzoo.UUCP>

In article <3819@utzoo.UUCP> azia@utzoo.UUCP (Anton J Aylward  A/S) writes:
>Suppose you are a university professor writing a textbook on your
>subject.  You have invested somthing like 10 years in getting to know
>the subject, another X years on the text and so on.  You have cross-referenced
>with articles and papers.  If you screw-up, make ridiculous assertions,
>or mangle a reference you get laughed at and you book fails to become
>a standard reference. (Unless you take a very Fun-damn-mentalist approach
>and are willing to settle for it only being sold in Texas  :-))

Actually, I had this linguistics professor who studied under Noam Chomsky,
and became suspicious of Chomsky's magnum opus (Chomsky, 1965), the one
that set the whole of linguistics on its ear, and from which linguistics is
just now recovering.  Definitely a "standard reference".  My professor went
through said book, and stated that he found that ~30% of the references were
bogus.  Not just misspelled, or in error.  Bogus.  Non-existent.  Unreal.
Fantastic.  Bovine fecal material.

Now maybe my professor had a chip off the old block to grind, but if what
he said is true, this would seem to contradict the sentiment expressed above.
I don't think academia is the rigorous topia it is made out to be, with the
possible exception of people checking to see if their OWN works are
correctly referenced in other people's works.

Larry "When We've been Buffaloed and the Chips are Down" Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall