[comp.lang.perl] DOS Perl Status

lfk@athena.mit.edu (Lee F Kolakowski) (11/07/90)

	A while ago len@holos (??) posted a note about MSDOS Perl being
improved and added things like MKS extensions. Has this ever been posted,
or completed, and has MSDOS perl been upgraded to the latest patch level.

Also, know that a database manager library based on Gdbm has been ported
to MSDOS, has the functionality of the database hooks in Unix versions
of Perl made it to MSDOS?

Inquiring Minds...

--

Frank Kolakowski

|lfk@athena.mit.edu or lfk@eastman2.mit.edu or kolakowski@wccf.mit.edu|
| Lee F. Kolakowski                 M.I.T.                            |
| Dept of Chemistry                 Room 18-506                       |
| 77 Massachusetts Ave.             Cambridge, MA 02139               |
| AT&T:  1-617-253-1866             #include <disclaimer.h>           |

john@ontek.com (John Alan Stanley) (11/08/90)

Yes, please!  If anyone has *any* information on perl under MS-DOS, please
let us know.  Also, is it real bad to port to Xenix?  Some clues are needed
here most seriously!  Thanks for any info you can provide!

JAS
John Alan Stanley           Ontek Corporation
john@ontek.com              "Where ontology recapitulates phenomenology
...!uunet!ontek!john         in a friendly family atmosphere."

lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.224333.17258@athena.mit.edu> lfk@athena.mit.edu writes:

>	A while ago len@holos (??) posted a note about MSDOS Perl being
>improved and added things like MKS extensions. Has this ever been posted,
>or completed, and has MSDOS perl been upgraded to the latest patch level.

Yes, that was me, though only a human, not a computer, would equate
holos0!lbr@gatech and len@holos. :-)

My enhanced version is completed and is upgraded to patch level 37.
Larry Wall asked me to send patches relative to patch level 38; he
said that 38 was imminent, but that was 2 weeks ago.  Larry?

I have sent my patches to Tom Dinger (East.Sun.COM!tdinger) for review;
he sent me his perl work, most of which I incorporated.  I haven't
heard from him.  Tom, did my patches make it through the e-mail maze?

My plans are to upgrade to patch level 38 and send source code patches
relative to that to Larry.  I'll also post a binary version (executable
plus a few perl scripts and a some readme text), probably to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I'll also place the binary kit somewhere where
it can be ftp'ed.  Not everyone who would use it has the tools
to build it.

>Also, know that a database manager library based on Gdbm has been ported
>to MSDOS, has the functionality of the database hooks in Unix versions
>of Perl made it to MSDOS?

This has been one of the real hot buttons for MSDOS perl--many folks want
to use DBM under DOS.  I may not get this into the forthcoming
release since I don't want to postpone it.  But I'd sure like to get
it in in the near future.  Where can I get this dbm code?
--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.

rahard@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (11/12/90)

lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) writes:
>>	A while ago len@holos (??) posted a note about MSDOS Perl being
>>improved and added things like MKS extensions. Has this ever been posted,
>>or completed, and has MSDOS perl been upgraded to the latest patch level.
>
>My plans are to upgrade to patch level 38 and send source code patches
>relative to that to Larry.  I'll also post a binary version (executable
>plus a few perl scripts and a some readme text), probably to
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I'll also place the binary kit somewhere where
>it can be ftp'ed.  Not everyone who would use it has the tools
>to build it.

How about placing the binary on simtel20 ?

--budi
--
Budi Rahardjo                 <rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
<rahard@ee.umanitoba.ca>   <rahard@budi.ee.umanitoba.ca>

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.225524.26645@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahard@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
)>relative to that to Larry.  I'll also post a binary version (executable
)>plus a few perl scripts and a some readme text), probably to
)>comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I'll also place the binary kit somewhere where
)
)How about placing the binary on simtel20 ?

Actually, most everything posted to c.b.i.p makes it to simtel very
quickly. By all means post it, since there are still MANY sites which
do not have ftp access to the internet.

--
Wolf N. Paul, UNIX SysAdmin, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa!wnp