[comp.lang.perl] Groff

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/14/90)

lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:

> By the way, does anyone have a compiled copy of groff for Sun3 or Sun4 (4.1)
> or even Vax or Pyramid?  I've spent hours trying to get it to compile and
> run, and don't have any more time to piddle with it.  It would make me
> Very Happy if there was somewhere I could ftp a runnable copy.  You'll
> never guess what I want to groff a copy of...

I'm not sure that groff is really ready for that kind of use yet.
Personally, I'm sticking to old troff (no, I lie, *ancient* troff :-)
with Chris Lewis's "psroff" package which translates the CAT output
to postscript, laserjet or ditroff output.  That package really is
production quality.

In the long term, groff will probably become more important, as
I don't have pic.  But for straighforward tbl | eqn | troff -mm,
psroff is easy to compile, install, and use, is well tested, and
doesn't require a C++ compiler.

Question: anyone know if groff has been fixed to handle -mm yet ?

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)