[comp.lang.perl] PL40 vs. AT&T machines

As of PL40 the AT&T 3B2 compiler won't handle eval.c:
"eval.c", line 2374: compiler error: switch table overflow

As far as I can tell there is no way (without compiler source) to
increase the size of the switch table. (I was never able to
compile TeX on the 3b2 either...).

On the 386 (AT&T unix SysVr3.2) lib.big gives a memory fault.  Interestingly,
but probably unrelated to perl, the memory fault causes an immediate core
dump when running on a local disk, but hangs forever if the current
directory is on another machine via RFS.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

jhpb@granjon.UUCP (Joseph H. Buehler) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov14.183830.18383@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.UUCP writes:

   As of PL40 the AT&T 3B2 compiler won't handle eval.c:
   "eval.c", line 2374: compiler error: switch table overflow

   As far as I can tell there is no way (without compiler source) to
   increase the size of the switch table. (I was never able to
   compile TeX on the 3b2 either...).

What are you running on?  I didn't have this problem on a 3B2/600
running SVR3.2.1.
--
Joe Buehler

In article <1332@granjon.UUCP> jhpb@granjon.att.com (01000-JH Buehler(BLU123)) writes:
>In article <1990Nov14.183830.18383@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.UUCP writes:

>   As of PL40 the AT&T 3B2 compiler won't handle eval.c:
>   "eval.c", line 2374: compiler error: switch table overflow

>   As far as I can tell there is no way (without compiler source) to
>   increase the size of the switch table. (I was never able to
>   compile TeX on the 3b2 either...).

>What are you running on?  I didn't have this problem on a 3B2/600
>running SVR3.2.1.

This is a 3B2/310.  The C compiler says it is Issue 4.0 (11.0).  Perhaps
you have a later version.  I've been told that another version with bigger
tables is available from the hotline support but I haven't had time to
check this out yet.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us