[comp.lang.perl] Perl for VMS?

ems@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Eric Slimko) (11/15/90)

This has undoubtedly best asked before, but being that I need
to know... Has anyone ported Perl to VMS?  If so, where can
I get it?  If you could send mail, I'd be most happy.

Thanks
--
Eric Slimko                |  Jet Propulsion Laboratories
ems@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov |  NASA/CalTech

jochterski@eagle.wesleyan.edu (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.175731.9445@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>,
ems@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Eric Slimko) writes:

> This has undoubtedly best asked before, but being that I need
> to know... Has anyone ported Perl to VMS?  If so, where can
> I get it?

I have been "lurking" in this news group looking for the answer to this very
question for several months, but it seems as though everyone who asks also asks
for an e-mail response.

My best guess is no, it doesn't exist. (or at least has never been mentioned).
If I am wrong please let me know (post or e-mail) I'd love to hear otherwise.

Joe Ochterski
US Mail:  40 Fairview Ave.                Box Chemistry
          Middletown CT 06457             Wesleyan University
                                          Middletown CT O6457
Home: (203)-346-8461	Office: (203)-347-9411 x2635
                                (203)-344-8544 x2635 (TouchTone only)
Bitnet: JOCHTERSKI%WESLEYAN.BITNET Internet: JOCHTERSKI@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

evans@decvax.DEC.COM (Marc Evans) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.174648.35806@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, jochterski@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
|> In article <1990Nov14.175731.9445@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>,
|> ems@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Eric Slimko) writes:
|>
|> > This has undoubtedly best asked before, but being that I need
|> > to know... Has anyone ported Perl to VMS?  If so, where can
|> > I get it?
|>
|> I have been "lurking" in this news group looking for the answer to this very
|> question for several months, but it seems as though everyone who asks also asks
|> for an e-mail response.

I am aware of an effort inside of DEC which may have yielded a port. I will
ask around and see what happened. My gut feeling though is that the work may
have been done on the version of VMS which marketing claims will be XPG3 and
POSIX.1 compliant...

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

jjc@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jeffrey J. Carpenter) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov14.174648.35806@eagle.wesleyan.edu>,
jochterski@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>> This has undoubtedly best asked before, but being that I need
>> to know... Has anyone ported Perl to VMS?  If so, where can
>My best guess is no, it doesn't exist. (or at least has never been mentioned).
>If I am wrong please let me know (post or e-mail) I'd love to hear otherwise.

We have a version that a former staff member ported to VMS.  Our version is at a
very old patch level, but has been sufficent for our use so far.  It has not
been updated to reflect the pathes in the past 6-9 months.  If someone wants
what we have done up to now (and wants to update it), I can make copies
available.

	jeff

--
Jeff Carpenter, University of Pittsburgh, Computing and Information Services
600 Epsilon Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15238