[comp.lang.perl] Making PERL@41 on a 3b1 -- taint is dead -- and my dbm.

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (11/25/90)

It looks like taintperl is now thouroughly impossible on a 3b1 -- the
switch case in teval.c is just too big for the compiler.  I changed it
to link perl to taintperl.  I've got a single-user system anyway -- why
should I waste time on security features?

On the other hand, hasn't this gone on long enough?  Larry??

The results work okay, except that the dbm test fails on 3 -- an attempt
to do a foreach on an empty array.  I'm not really sure what I'm using
for dbm... Anyone know where there's a good one to snarf?
--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/01/90)

In article <1263@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>It looks like taintperl is now thouroughly impossible on a 3b1 -- the
>switch case in teval.c is just too big for the compiler.  I changed it
>to link perl to taintperl.  I've got a single-user system anyway -- why
>should I waste time on security features?

I don't know what your problem is, but we've never had trouble
compiling any patch level of Perl on our 3b1's.  We're 3.5.1.4 release
of the O/S (oldish) with 2Mb, are you something even older?  teval.c
is copied from eval.c and the TAINT definition during compile doesn't
make all that much difference.  Eg: if 320 clauses was too many, you'd
have blown the compile of eval.c too and not been able to compile Perl
at all.

In fact, we use our 3b1's as a yacc server for compiling Perl on
a 386/ix 1.0.6 system because the yacc on that release is too small
to handle Perl.  Mind you, eval.c and one of the other source files
blows the optimizers on a number of O/S's (386/ix 1.0.6 and RS/6000
comes to mind)

And finally, that 320 clause siwtch statement makes me feel good about
psroff - I've had one or two complaints that the 256 clauses in a
switch in psroff is too many ;-)  (it works fine with my 3b1)

>On the other hand, hasn't this gone on long enough?  Larry??

>The results work okay, except that the dbm test fails on 3 -- an attempt
>to do a foreach on an empty array.  I'm not really sure what I'm using
>for dbm... Anyone know where there's a good one to snarf?

What did it use?  Chances are it didn't use any (eg: all assoc arrays
incore) unless you explicitly imported mdbm or ndbm because ol' dbm
doesn't come standard on 3b1 releases that I know of.  On that front,
it appears that Ozan's PD sdbm will be a freely redistributable full-feature
dbm that works with Perl (don't ask him or me for it because it's still
under test and needs a little work before release)

BTW: I'm getting core-dumps with PL41 too (though the regression tests
work perfectly), am still investigating.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

In article <973@ecicrl.UUCP> clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>And finally, that 320 clause siwtch statement makes me feel good about
>psroff - I've had one or two complaints that the 256 clauses in a
>switch in psroff is too many ;-)  (it works fine with my 3b1)

Both psroff and perl fail to compile on a 3b2/400 because of the small
switch table in the compiler.  I've been told that a replacement compiler
is available, though.

>>On the other hand, hasn't this gone on long enough?  Larry??

Yes, especially now that a similar complaint about eval.c was posted
about AUX.  Time to fix it if you want to be able to continue claiming
that perl is more portable than sh.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us