[comp.lang.perl] UUdecode question

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (12/09/90)

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

> [...] but the resulting decoded file is larger
> than the original and will not run. All the compare utilities I have at
> hand die when they see the different sizes, so I don't have a firm idea
> of the problem yet... but it strikes me that this may be a DOS/Unix
> clash. Print doesn't automatically add a newline, but could it be
> expanding any \n it finds in the unpacked $_ to a CR/LF combination?

A bit more deductive info.... I found and ran cmp on the decoded file
vs. the original. Sure enough, each instance of 0x0a in the original
file has been replaced with 0x0d, 0x0a.  I also furiously RTFM and
found a reference to binmode(HANDLE), but was unable to get it to work.
I tried calling binmode both before and after opening the output file,
and still got the newline translation. Perhaps binmode works differently
in PL41? (I only have man pages for PL18)
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}