[comp.lang.perl] dbm & perl under Mess-DOS?

stickler@rc.nokia.fi (Patrick Stickler RC 910) (12/05/90)

I have seen floating around several ftp sites a version of gnu dbm
(gdbm) for MS-DOS. Has anyone tried using this in conjunction with
perl for DOS so that the dbm functions are available?

I'm no (C) hacker, so I wouldn't attempt it myself - I just would
*very* much like to use perl's dbm functions under DOS (so that
I can have two identical applications both under UNIX and DOS
without having to modify the DOS app any.

Also, does anyone know of a (working) version of undump() under
DOS?

(Personally, I *hate* DOS and would love to work only with UNIX,
but most of the end user machines here are PC's....(sigh)....)

Thanks to anyone who can help (and does ;-)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  Patrick Stickler   University of Helsinki   stickler@cc.Helsinki.FI
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) (12/07/90)

In article <345@pepper.rc.nokia.fi> stickler@rc.nokia.fi (Patrick Stickler RC 910) writes:

=I have seen floating around several ftp sites a version of gnu dbm
=(gdbm) for MS-DOS. Has anyone tried using this in conjunction with
=perl for DOS so that the dbm functions are available?

I've just finished putting a lot of changes into Mess-dos perl.  Larry
has the patches and has put the .exe up for ftp.

I've been playing with trying to get more memory available.  I'm working
(slowly, I don't make any money at this) on a custom overlay scheme that
should free up about 150K at very little execution cost.  I doubt that
gdbm will fit and allow anything useful to be done without a solution to
the memory squeeze.

Anyway, dbm is one real hot-buttom for DOS users and I'd sure like to get
it into the DOS version.  I don't have ftp access.  Could someone
who has this package make arangements to send it to me?  (Don't everyone
mail me an n-part package. :-)
--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.

dds@cc.ic.ac.uk (Diomidis Spinellis) (12/09/90)

In article <345@pepper.rc.nokia.fi> stickler@rc.nokia.fi (Patrick Stickler RC 910) writes:

>I have seen floating around several ftp sites a version of gnu dbm
>(gdbm) for MS-DOS. Has anyone tried using this in conjunction with
>perl for DOS so that the dbm functions are available?

I have compiled under MS-DOS and MSC 6.0 an experimental version of Perl
at patch level 29 with a home brewn version of GNU dbm version 3.
As soon as I upgrade both to the most recent versions I will make
them available.  Using gdbm with the MS-DOS perl is useful in
situations where there is not not enough memory to hold associative
arrays in memory.

Diomidis
Diomidis Spinellis                  Internet:                 dds@cc.ic.ac.uk
Department of Computing             UUCP:                    ...!ukc!iccc!dds
Imperial College                    JANET:                    dds@uk.ac.ic.cc