[comp.lang.perl] FAQ suggestion

mfc@medoc.ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) (12/05/90)

In article <109564@convex.convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>I'm still hesitant on adding:
>
>     xx)  What's the best way to see if an array element is present?
>     xx)  How do I call alarm(3C)?
>
>Any other candidates or suggestions?

How about "when is the book coming out" :-).
--
 Matt.Caprile@ec.bull.fr  (or  {uunet!}inria!ec.bull.fr!Matt.Caprile)
 Bull S.A.

In article <810@echbull.bull.fr> mfc@medoc.ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) writes:
: In article <109564@convex.convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
: ...
: >I'm still hesitant on adding:
: >
: >     xx)  What's the best way to see if an array element is present?
: >     xx)  How do I call alarm(3C)?
: >
: >Any other candidates or suggestions?
: ...
:
: How about "when is the book coming out" :-).

The problem with that question is that the answer depends on how many
times we have to answer it.  :-)

If you're actually asking the question (difficult to tell, the science
of pragmatics notwithstanding), the answer is that we're busting portions
of our anatomy to get it out by Usenix.

Larry

kjj@varese.UUCP (Kevin Johnson) (12/06/90)

In article <810@echbull.bull.fr> mfc@medoc.ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) writes:
>In article <109564@convex.convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>>Any other candidates or suggestions?
>How about "when is the book coming out" :-).

Hey, I received a packet from Nutshell today advertising it.
How do you spell the sound made while chomping at the bit? :-)

#include <standard_disclaimer>
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Kevin Johnson                                      ...!mcdphx!QIS1!kjj      |
| QIS System Administrator  Motorola MCD             kjj@phx.mcd.mot.com      |

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec6.174929.7951@nntp-server.caltech.edu> jerbil@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph R. Beckenbach) writes:

[...]
>	BTW, I love the choice of animal for the cover.  [Larry, Randall, who
>chose the octopus?
[...]

  Isn't it a 'Loose Jointed Camel' on the Programming Perl cover?  The
  octopus is on the MH & xmh cover.
--
 +-  Bill England,  wengland@stephsf.COM -----------------------------------+
 |   * *      H -> He +24Mev                                                |

In article <456@stephsf.stephsf.com> wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) writes:
: In article <1990Dec6.174929.7951@nntp-server.caltech.edu> jerbil@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph R. Beckenbach) writes:
:
: [...]
: >	BTW, I love the choice of animal for the cover.  [Larry, Randall, who
: >chose the octopus?
: [...]
:
:   Isn't it a 'Loose Jointed Camel' on the Programming Perl cover?  The
:   octopus is on the MH & xmh cover.

Right.  I don't know if it's loose-jointed, but it's definitely curtsying.
As for who chose it, I suggested a camel, and Edie Freeman of ora picked
out the particular camel, which I immediately fell in love with.  After
that, no one else had the heart (or the heartlessness) to suggest anything
else.  :-)

Larry