[comp.lang.perl] perl -d often dies or runs out of memory

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (01/16/91)

I am having very little luck running perl under the debugger. I am at patch
level 36 but have also tried some of these scripts at PL 44.

[ I am on an SGI 4D series running Irix 3.3.1.]

What happens it that when I step through a script with the debugger it almost
always dies when the script calls a subroutine or attempts to read a file.

Sometimes it gets a segmentation fault and dumps core and other times prints
the message 'out of memory' and exits.

Can any body help?

Cheers, Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) writes:

>I am having very little luck running perl under the debugger. I am at patch
>level 36 but have also tried some of these scripts at PL 44.

Tom Christiansen and Larry Wall both have responded saying that this should
be fixed at PL 44. So I completed the installation of PL 44 and everything
worked fine. i.e. did the make install.

I had been running the PL44 version by simply altering #!/... to point
to the new version of perl rather than doing a make install to replace
all the other bits and pieces. (A bit stupid!)

I am now running PL 44 and happy.

Thanks to Tom and Larry.

Russell.