[comp.lang.perl] It's a Boy, er, Girl, er uh, Book!!!

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) (01/04/91)

OK, so this is what you've been waiting for.  I just got authorization
from OR&A to post this.  One brief announcement, then we'll go back to
posting obscure Perl code.

The Book is officially at the printers, so it's a happenin' thing.

The Book will debut at OR&A's Uniforum booth in Dallas in a few weeks.
Larry and I will *both* be there to throw our scribbles on them.  But
the big thing at Uniforum is the _Signing Party_!

The Signing Party (with food'n'stuff) will be at the Grand K Hotel in
Dallas on Jan 22nd from 5:30pm to 7:30pm in an "unspecified large
room" (follow the gazillions of signs).  Larry and I are planning some
surprises, so if you can be there, be there.

Larry is also planning to attend Tom's Perl talk at Usenix.

If you *can't* make Uniforum, here's how to get a book direct from OR&A:

	Mail it to: 632 Petaluma Avenue, Sebastopol, CA 95472
	Phone it to: 1-800-338-6887
		CA: 1-800-533-6887
		local/international: +1 707 829 0515
	FAX it to: +1 707 829-0104

Ask for Programming Perl, by Larry Wall and Randal L. Schwartz.  Cover
price is $24.95.

It should also be showing up in bookstores everywhere.  Sorry, my info
doesn't have an ISBN for it.

If you ordered a book, and want it autographed by me (silly thought),
send it to:

	Stonehenge Consulting Services
	attn: Randal
	4470 SW Hall Blvd, Suite 107
	Beaverton, OR 97005

UPS or FEDEX is OK.  Plain mail will get there too. :-) If you're
kind, please include a few dollars for the return shipment.  If not,
you'll get it back anyway (but I'll grumble a bit :-).

$Old_MacDonald = q#print #; $had_a_farm = (q-q:Just another Perl hacker,:-);
s/^/q[Sing it, boys and girls...],$Old_MacDonald.$had_a_farm/eieio;
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (01/05/91)

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

>Ask for Programming Perl, by Larry Wall and Randal L. Schwartz.  Cover
>price is $24.95.

>It should also be showing up in bookstores everywhere.  Sorry, my info
>doesn't have an ISBN for it.

>From my backorder notification from OR&A:
	ISBN: 0-937175-64-1

Say you saw the ad in UNIX WORLD and you'll get a 10% discount.
They take Masctercard and VISA if you want to make ordering from
non-USA easier.

>If you ordered a book, and want it autographed by me (silly thought),
>send it [..]

Nice to know you haven't let fame and fortune get to you.  Please,
don't forget all the little people :-).

Congrats on completing it.

-----
Doug Eastick

inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan3.193349.5072@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

>OK, so this is what you've been waiting for.  I just got authorization
>from OR&A to post this.  One brief announcement, then we'll go back to
>posting obscure Perl code.
>
>The Book is officially at the printers, so it's a happenin' thing.
>
>If you ordered a book, and want it autographed by me (silly thought),
>send it to:
>
>	Stonehenge Consulting Services
>	attn: Randal
>	4470 SW Hall Blvd, Suite 107
>	Beaverton, OR 97005
>
>$Old_MacDonald = q#print #; $had_a_farm = (q-q:Just another Perl hacker,:-);
>s/^/q[Sing it, boys and girls...],$Old_MacDonald.$had_a_farm/eieio;
>--
>/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\

...not such a silly thought at all. After reading this, I wondered if I
enclosed $few++ and an appropriate mailing label, if you'd forward it to
Larry for his autograph, too? I have placed an order with our corporate
librarian for 3 copies for our department and a fourth personal copy that I
had intended to send for autographs anyway. It would be very meaningful to
me to have an autographed copy, and I suspect for many others, too.

Maybe the distributors could even offer autographed copies for a $$few++/ee
or something.

Wishing GREAT SUCCESS to both Larry and Randal on their publication!

--
Gary Benson    -=[ S M I L E R ]=-   -_-_-_-inc@fluke.com_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
what no one else has thought.    -Albert Szent-Gyorgi

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan15.212058.29053@tc.fluke.COM>, inc@tc (Gary Benson) writes:
| ...not such a silly thought at all. After reading this, I wondered if I
| enclosed $few++ and an appropriate mailing label, if you'd forward it to
| Larry for his autograph, too? I have placed an order with our corporate
| librarian for 3 copies for our department and a fourth personal copy that I
| had intended to send for autographs anyway. It would be very meaningful to
| me to have an autographed copy, and I suspect for many others, too.
|
| Maybe the distributors could even offer autographed copies for a $$few++/ee
| or something.

OK, here's the scoop.  I just talked to my mailing guy for some figures.

If you enclose $1 + whatever postage you had to spend to get it to me,
I can sign it and get it back to you in a new envelope with only a
time loss on my side (no hard cash).

If you enclose $4 + whatever postage you had to spend to get it to me,
I can get you a signed copy with both Larry's and my signatures on it.
(Larry has agreed to let me manage this for the both of us.)

Any money above and beyond these figures applies toward my labor (and
the cost of pens :-), and will be generously appreciated.  The figures
above are *bare bones* *hard out-of-pocket costs*.  If you enclose
less than that, my financial manager will force me to hold on to your
book as collateral until the difference is collected. :-)

Of course, if I could risk taking cash, checks, or plastic, I could
save you the trouble of buying the book in the first place just to
ship it to me, but I don't wanna be that generous yet.  (Maybe I could
be talked into it...  who knows?)

(A trickle, or a barrage?  I still don't know yet... :-)

die "Get a current Perl!\n" if $] < 3.044;
print pack("u",pack("H*x24","d73d0086ebf4a25c80c25cac028863ae5c8c"))