[comp.lang.perl] pack function, uuencode and xxencode

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (01/22/91)

The pack function includes the ability to use uuencode, but there is no
way to do xxencode with it (yet).  That would be a suggestion for future
inclusion.  Unfortunately the templates of "x" and "X" are already taken
so something less mnemonic would have to be used.  One could alternatively
use tr (somehow maybe, I have not learned that one yet).

One of the programs I want to write, and am considering perl as an
alternative to C if this can be figured out, is something that can
find the uuencoded or xxencoded file, or multiple files, within a saved
mail file (passing over all the headers, etc.) and extracting all the
files with special name collision avoidance added to prevent accidents.
The plain uudecode and xxdecode programs (xxdecode being simply a remake
of uudecode) don't do these tests whatsoever.
--

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN-- | Individual CHOICE is fundamental to a free society
<phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> | no matter what the particular issue is all about.

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (01/24/91)

It would be more useful if the uuen/decode operation had an encoding vector
as parameter, like e.g.

$UUVEC = "+-0123456789abcdef...";
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.ruu.nl>

In article <4725@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:
: It would be more useful if the uuen/decode operation had an encoding vector
: as parameter, like e.g.
:
: $UUVEC = "+-0123456789abcdef...";

Too bad Perl doesn't have a tr command...   :-)

Larry

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (01/25/91)

In article <11169@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
>In article <4725@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:
>: It would be more useful if the uuen/decode operation had an encoding vector
>: as parameter, like e.g.
>:
>: $UUVEC = "+-0123456789abcdef...";

Then it wouldn't be uuencoded, it'd be something else.

>Too bad Perl doesn't have a tr command...   :-)

Yeah, but as I said, $var =~ tr/pattern//d doesn't appear to work.

--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj@uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between

In article <119779@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
: Yeah, but as I said, $var =~ tr/pattern//d doesn't appear to work.

Fixed in 4.0.

Larry