[comp.lang.perl] nis

rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb03.210317.16015@convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>In article <FH$&M++@rpi.edu> rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
>:The dbm interface to $foo{} arrays is really handy.   Has anyone implemented
>:a similar thing that can talk to the nis?
>
>Seriously, I'm not sure what this gains you (that would make it worth
>doing, that is) that the gethostbyfoo calls don't.  If domainname is
>set, your C RTS should summon the daemons as needed.

sure, but the host table was just an example map.  I have a map called
'depot.sun4-os4' that would be nice to access from any machine.

--
Rodney

From the keyboard of rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II):
:
:sure, but the host table was just an example map.  I have a map called
:'depot.sun4-os4' that would be nice to access from any machine.

Well, there *are* usersubs for the brave, but that wouldn't help
you bind to %foo.  Maybe the %foo bindings could use a user hook
in it, too.  That way people could deal with dbz and gdbm file without
sacrificing their dbm access.

--tom
--
"Still waiting to read alt.fan.dan-bernstein using DBWM, Dan's own AI
window manager, which argues with you 10 weeks before resizing your window."