[comp.lang.perl] Perl for HP-UX 7.0

mullins@convex.COM (Don Mullins) (02/01/91)

Greetings,

    Has anyone compiled perl 3.0PL44 to run under HP-UX 7.0?  Are there any
    got-chas to be aware of?

Thanks,
Don

--
Don Mullins          Convex Computer Corporation          Richardson, Texas USA
INTERNET -- mullins@convex.COM

mullins@convex.COM (Don Mullins) (02/01/91)

Greetings,

    Has anyone compiled perl 3.0PL44 to run under HP-UX 7.0?  Are there any
    got-chas to be aware of?

Thanks,
Don

--
Don Mullins          Convex Computer Corporation          Richardson, Texas USA
INTERNET -- mullins@convex.COM
UUCP ------ {uiucuxc, uunet, sun, ...}!convex!mullins

--
Don Mullins          Convex Computer Corporation          Richardson, Texas USA
INTERNET -- mullins@convex.COM
UUCP ------ {uiucuxc, uunet, sun, ...}!convex!mullins

mullins@convex.COM (Don Mullins) (02/01/91)

    I forgot to mention the series.  This is for the 9000/300 series
    computers.

Thanks,
Don

--

ajcd@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Angus Duggan) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.161906.9083@convex.com>, mullins@convex.COM (Don Mullins) writes:
> Greetings,
>
>     Has anyone compiled perl 3.0PL44 to run under HP-UX 7.0?  Are there any
>     got-chas to be aware of?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

1) Yes.
2) No. (well, not really a gotcha, but remember to compile with -L libdir
instead of -Llibdir if using the hpux compiler.)

If you believe Configure, you won't go far wrong.

> --
> Don Mullins          Convex Computer Corporation          Richardson, Texas USA
> INTERNET -- mullins@convex.COM
> UUCP ------ {uiucuxc, uunet, sun, ...}!convex!mullins

A.
--
Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
University of Edinburgh, JCMB,			| JANET:  ajcd@uk.ac.ed.lfcs

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (02/02/91)

DM>     Has anyone compiled perl 3.0PL44 to run under HP-UX 7.0?  Are there any
DM>     got-chas to be aware of?

We have had every version 3 running. The only thing I can think of is not
using -O on the compilation but +O1 (I never use -O, because it usually
gives problems. There is also a table that must be enlarged.

These are the things to watch:

# config.sh

optimize='+O1'
ccflags='-Wc,-Nw500'
libs='-lnet -lndir -lndbm -lmalloc -lm -lBSD'

The others are taken care of by Configure. (I'm talking about the
9000/300/400 series, not the 800's)
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P. Barrett) (02/06/91)

In article <4768@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:
> DM>  Has anyone compiled perl 3.0PL44 to run under HP-UX 7.0?  Are there any
> DM>  got-chas to be aware of?
>
> These are the things to watch:
>
> # config.sh
>
> optimize='+O1'
> ccflags='-Wc,-Nw500'
> libs='-lnet -lndir -lndbm -lmalloc -lm -lBSD'
>
> The others are taken care of by Configure. (I'm talking about the
> 9000/300/400 series, not the 800's)

Whoops, I forgot about that, and sent email to the original enquirer
telling him that Configure took care of everything.  Sorry.

What I really do is this:

1.  Run Configure, letting it figure everything out for itself.  (I
    should probably add -lmalloc to the list of libs, but I don't do
    that and Configure doesn't find it for itself, so perl ends up using
    the standard malloc from libc.)

2.  make depend.

3.  Run this little 'Pre-make' script to make some of the objects using
    different CFLAGS.  The standard set of CFLAGS (including '-O') works
    fine on all the other object files not mentioned in this script.  I
    suspect that -O might also work on the objects mentioned here, if
    you have enough physical memory or enough time to wait; on our
    HP9000/370 with 8 Meg of memory, compiling these with '-O' makes the
    VM system thrash the disk for hours (yes, hours).

	#!/bin/sh
	#
	# Make some things with different CFLAGS.   --apb
	#
	# Run this before running a normal make.
	#
	make "CFLAGS=+O1 +Nw500" eval.o teval.o
	make "CFLAGS=+O1" toke.o ttoke.o
	(cd x2p ; make "CFLAGS=+O1" walk.o)

4.  Now run a make.

--apb
Alan Barrett, Dept. of Electronic Eng., Univ. of Natal, Durban, South Africa
Internet: barrett@ee.und.ac.za (or %ee.und.ac.za@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu)
UUCP: m2xenix!quagga!undeed!barrett    PSI-Mail: PSI%(6550)13601353::BARRETT

hakanson@ogicse.ogi.edu (Marion Hakanson) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb06.083909.8101@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA> barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P. Barrett) writes:
>. . .
>3.  Run this little 'Pre-make' script to make some of the objects using
>    different CFLAGS.  The standard set of CFLAGS (including '-O') works
>    fine on all the other object files not mentioned in this script.  I
>    suspect that -O might also work on the objects mentioned here, if
>    you have enough physical memory or enough time to wait; on our
>    HP9000/370 with 8 Meg of memory, compiling these with '-O' makes the
>    VM system thrash the disk for hours (yes, hours).

These super optimizers do have trouble with eval.c and a2p/walk.c.
Our HP-UX 7.0 system is a Series-800 (HP's PA-RISC), but it has 32M of
RAM, so the VM only thrashes for about 5-10 minutes on eval.c, and no
special options are required to expand compiler tables.

On our poor DECStation-2100 with 12M of RAM, eval.c took 12+ hours to
fully optimize using the Ultrix compiler (I'm told gcc is superior).
Somehow I think I'd have to run Perl an awful lot in order to make
optimization pay back the time it took in this case.

--
Marion Hakanson         Domain: hakanson@cse.ogi.edu
                        UUCP  : {hp-pcd,tektronix}!ogicse!hakanson

gregs@well.sf.ca.us (Greg Strockbine) (02/14/91)

With the version of gcc we have I crashed our Vax 6420 when it tried
to compile eval.c, I had to resort to cc to get the job done.
Actually caused the fault light to come on and they had to cycle
power!

On our HP system the cc compiler went to lunch on eval.c.  I tried it
again with no -O and -DCRIPPLED_CC and that worked.
	greg strockbine, dataproducts, woodland hills, ca.