[comp.lang.perl] "\x1B" == Escape wanted

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (02/07/91)

I'm tired of thinking in octal. ANSI seems to be as well.
Don't worry, I don't think anyone wants trigraphs yet :-)
--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj@uunet.uu.net>
	I got a head full of ideas

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (02/13/91)

Since I never saw a reply, I'm reposting this.

In article <121552@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
I'm tired of thinking in octal. ANSI seems to be as well.
Don't worry, I don't think anyone wants trigraphs yet :-)

I want to be able to say: $ESC = "\x1b" rather than "\033".
And since perl is now a piece of GNU, should we be allowed
to say such things as "\e", "\^x", and "\M-C-a"?
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

In article <122472@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
: I want to be able to say: $ESC = "\x1b" rather than "\033".

Maybe.

: And since perl is now a piece of GNU, should we be allowed
: to say such things as "\e", "\^x", and "\M-C-a"?

\e for \033 is a possibility, though there's some interference with
vi's use of it to terminate \L or \U.  However, \E is a better
choice for that, so maybe \e can be escape.  I expect that 4.0 will
support vi's \l, \L, \u, \U and \E (but in any double-quote context, of
course).

\^x will never happen in Perl, simply because it violates the rule that
backslashed non-alphanumerics are always themselves.  Possibly \cx, though.

\M-C-a is not much use unless you're writing an editor.

\a for "audible bell" may appear simply because it's in K&R2.

Larry

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (02/16/91)

In article <11454@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
>In article <122472@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>: I want to be able to say: $ESC = "\x1b" rather than "\033".
>
>Maybe.
>\a for "audible bell" may appear simply because it's in K&R2.

Like \a for alarm, \x## is ANSI as well.

>\^x will never happen in Perl, simply because it violates the rule that
>backslashed non-alphanumerics are always themselves.  Possibly \cx, though.

Of course. How silly of me. And \c is probably a good choice,
because the current meaning (no newline) is meaningless in perl.

>\M-C-a is not much use unless you're writing an editor.

Well, yes, the reason I included that is to give you something to reject :-)
I also forgot to ask for \E and \O, even and odd parity :-)

--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

In article <122773@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
: In article <11454@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
: >In article <122472@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
: >: I want to be able to say: $ESC = "\x1b" rather than "\033".
: >
: >Maybe.
: >\a for "audible bell" may appear simply because it's in K&R2.
:
: Like \a for alarm, \x## is ANSI as well.

OK, it's in there.  And \e for \033.

: >\^x will never happen in Perl, simply because it violates the rule that
: >backslashed non-alphanumerics are always themselves.  Possibly \cx, though.
:
: Of course. How silly of me. And \c is probably a good choice,
: because the current meaning (no newline) is meaningless in perl.

\c it is.

: >\M-C-a is not much use unless you're writing an editor.
:
: Well, yes, the reason I included that is to give you something to reject :-)

Heh.

: I also forgot to ask for \E and \O, even and odd parity :-)

Well, you can just forget it again.  tr/// has to be good for something...

Larry