[comp.lang.perl] 4.0 beta on Apollo

vinoski@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Vinoski) (02/17/91)

Perl 4.0 beta came right up on Apollo m68k and Series 10000 machines, BSD4.3
environment, either sr10.2 or sr10.3 Domain/OS.  There was one problem in the
Configure script related to not searching both /lib/libc *and* /lib/clib (sigh);
the included patch fixes that.  (Note that the patch is not official, I included
it here in hopes that Larry would pick it up.)

The only test failure was:

op/stat........-T and -B not implemented on filehandles
FAILED on test 45

This is because Configure said: "Your stdio isn't very std."

Here's the Configure patch:

*** Configure.orig	Sat Feb 16 18:18:06 1991
--- Configure	Sat Feb 16 18:16:34 1991
***************
*** 1619,1627 ****
      libc="$1"
  elif test -f $libc; then
      echo "Your C library is in $libc, like you said before."
-     if test $libc = "/lib/libc"; then
- 	libc="$libc /lib/clib"
-     fi
  elif test -f /lib/libc.a; then
      echo "Your C library is in /lib/libc.a.  You're normal."
      libc=/lib/libc.a
--- 1619,1624 ----
***************
*** 1659,1664 ****
--- 1656,1664 ----
      fi
  fi
  echo " "
+ if test $libc = "/lib/libc"; then
+     libc="$libc /lib/clib"
+ fi
  set `echo $libc $libnames | tr ' ' '\012' | sort | uniq`
  $echo $n "Extracting names from $* for later perusal...$c"
  nm $nm_opts $* 2>/dev/null >libc.tmp

enjoy,
-steve

| Steve Vinoski  (508)256-0176 x5904       | Internet: vinoski@apollo.hp.com  |
| HP Apollo Division, Chelmsford, MA 01824 | UUCP: ...!apollo!vinoski         |
| "The price of knowledge is learning how little of it you yourself harbor."  |
|                                                    - Tom Christiansen       |

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (02/19/91)

In article <4fda59e3.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> vinoski@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Vinoski) writes:
>Perl 4.0 beta came right up on Apollo m68k and Series 10000 machines, BSD4.3
>environment, either sr10.2 or sr10.3 Domain/OS.  There was one problem in the
>Configure script related to not searching both /lib/libc *and* /lib/clib (sigh);
>the included patch fixes that.  (Note that the patch is not official, I included
>it here in hopes that Larry would pick it up.)

This was a typical problem several patches ago, but Larry fixed it back then when
it was brought to his attention.  At patchlevel 44, Configure finds both Apollo
libraries.  So, somehow the fix got lost between 3.0.44 and 4.0.

>The only test failure was:
>
>op/stat........-T and -B not implemented on filehandles
>FAILED on test 45
>
>This is because Configure said: "Your stdio isn't very std."

This, too, was a problem at one time, but it was fixed a long time ago, at
patchlevel 18, I think, or soon thereafter.  Anyway, Configure in patchlevel 44
reports stdio as standard.  The op.stat test 45 works fine.

I suspect that Larry re-built Configure via Megaconfig for Perl 4.0, but
that Megaconfig had not been updated with the Apollo specific info that
fixes these Apollo specific problems.

Did I guess right, Larry?

Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075