[comp.lang.perl] The Camel book

brister@decwrl.dec.com (James Brister) (02/16/91)

On 15 Feb 91 18:20:57 GMT, tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) said:

> You might look to lwall's pipegrep program.  It's on page 265 of
> the perl book, and available via anon ftp from uunet inside the
> compressed tarchive nutshell/perl/perl.tar.Z in ch6/pipegrep.

Speaking of "The Camel Book", I walked into Stacey's in Palo Alto, to pick
up a copy of the book, about a week after it first showed up on the
shelves. All the copies were gone! I asked the clerk if there were any in
the store room. His rely: "Nope, they are all gone. Just like that! [snap of
fingers] It was kind of scary how quickly they went."

Good going Larry!

James
--
James Brister                                           brister@decwrl.dec.com
DEC Western Software Lab., Palo Alto, CA    {uunet,sun,pyramid}!decwrl!brister

terry@eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (02/19/91)

brister@decwrl.dec.com (James Brister) writes:

>Speaking of "The Camel Book", I walked into Stacey's in Palo Alto, to pick
>up a copy of the book, about a week after it first showed up on the
>shelves. All the copies were gone! I asked the clerk if there were any in
>the store room. His rely: "Nope, they are all gone. Just like that! [snap of
>fingers] It was kind of scary how quickly they went."

I ordered one directly from O'Reiley and Associates, and they backordered
it on me.  Stacey's is not the only one that is out of stock on the book.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.224040.27554@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, terry@eece (Terry Hull) writes:
| I ordered one directly from O'Reiley and Associates, and they backordered
| it on me.  Stacey's is not the only one that is out of stock on the book.

5000 copies were printed on the first run.  4700(!) had to be recalled
because the package had been shrinkwrapped before the cover ink had
time to dry and was starting to smear (the ones purchased at Usenix
were safe because they had generally been opened almost immediately to
get a illegible set of scrawls on them :-).  The printer is working
furiously to reprint the order in bits and drabs, and OR&A is shipping
them out as fast as they come in.

Please be patient.

print "Just another Perl [book] hacker,"
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (02/19/91)

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>5000 copies were printed on the first run.  4700(!) had to be recalled
>because the package had been shrinkwrapped before the cover ink had
>time to dry and was starting to smear...

Typical American waste. It probably never occurred to those pinheads
that they might be collector's items some day. And that wizards don't
care what the cover looks like. I've dribbled coffee on mine already.

They should have sold them with an option to return them for
"good copies" at a later date. I hope they donate them to
universities rather than pitch them, but I doubt it.
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

usenet@carssdf.UUCP (John Watson) (02/19/91)

> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
> >5000 copies were printed on the first run.  4700(!) had to be recalled
>
> Typical American waste.

Give to universities: A VERY GOOD IDEA.  I recomend CLARKSON, Potsdam NY
for a couple of hunderd copies.

I would think anyone working in the state of Washington would get VERY
UPSET at plundering our natural resources for something as trivial as
a smeared cover.

Get these books spread into universities and open some minds.  Maby in
the next decade we can stamp out COBOL once and for all.

John Watson

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (02/20/91)

?
?I would think anyone working in the state of Washington would get VERY
?UPSET at plundering our natural resources for something as trivial as
?a smeared cover.

Really! Send them to Twin Peaks! Larry was really writing
code for BOB, not Job! Remember Perl Lakes? Note the TR operator.

?Get these books spread into universities and open some minds.  Maybe in
?the next decade we can stamp out COBOL once and for all.

I keep telling people that COBOL is a BETTER language than FORTRAN.
Why? Because it has BETTER DATA STRUCTURES while the control
constructs are similar. And MOVE CORRESPONDING is an idea I have
not seen in any other language. Choose your targets better.

?John Watson
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/21/91)

Jim> I keep telling people that COBOL is a BETTER language ...

$_="Just another perl hacker\n";s/perl/COBOL/;print;

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Beauty is a French phonetic corruption
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |                   - FZ

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (02/24/91)

According to domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop):
>In article <123376@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>> I keep telling people that COBOL is a BETTER language than FORTRAN.
>> ... MOVE CORRESPONDING is an idea I have not seen in any other language.
>
>Can't resist this irrelevancy: SQL, another truly wonderful language,
>has, in effect, a MOVE (really copy) CORRESPONDING.

And PL/I has assignment "by name".  (Yes, you spell it out!)
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT      <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"It's not a security hole, it's a SECURITY ABYSS." -- Christoph Splittgerber