[comp.lang.perl] Ordering copies of the book

ajudge@maths.tcd.ie (Alan Judge) (02/16/91)

Can anyone recommend a company that is willing to accept either emailed,
or faxed credit card orders, to ship books to Ireland?

(I know about info@techbook.com, and, if they reply, I'll go with them.)

[ I originally tried faxing an order to OR&A using the number Randal gave
  in his original posting.  (I wanted to order direct from the US, because
  the Irish and UK distributors won't have the book for months.)  I heard
  nothing for about two weeks, and then got a fax from Addison-Wesley (the UK
  distributors for OR&A??) saying that they won't have the book in stock till
  May!!  I'd love to know why OR&A forwarded my order to someone who won't
  have copies for ages?  The WHOLE POINT for ordering from the US in the
  first place was to avoid the delay. 					]

--
Alan Judge   ajudge@maths.tcd.ie  a.k.a. amjudge@cs.tcd.ie +353-1-772941 x1782

"COBOL is the revenge of some witch burned in Salem, [...]"  (Bill Davidsen)

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb16.150429.12630@maths.tcd.ie>, ajudge@maths (Alan Judge) writes:
| Can anyone recommend a company that is willing to accept either emailed,
| or faxed credit card orders, to ship books to Ireland?
| [ I originally tried faxing an order to OR&A using the number Randal gave
|   in his original posting.  (I wanted to order direct from the US, because
|   the Irish and UK distributors won't have the book for months.)  I heard
|   nothing for about two weeks, and then got a fax from Addison-Wesley (the UK
|   distributors for OR&A??) saying that they won't have the book in stock till
|   May!!  I'd love to know why OR&A forwarded my order to someone who won't
|   have copies for ages?  The WHOLE POINT for ordering from the US in the
|   first place was to avoid the delay. 					]

I'm very sorry that international customers are at the mercy of
Addison Wesley.  A/W has the rights to all international distribution
for OR&A's books, so when an order comes in to OR&A, they must forward
it to A/W for handling.  I have been told by my contact at OR&A that
A/W is recieving 1100 (!) books within the next few days.  Hopefully,
after a slow boat-ride across the puddle (in both directions), they'll
start showing up in stores and such.

TECHbooks is prepared to handle the occasional international shipment
of single *autographed* copies only (since A/W is the only authorized
shipper of naked books).  But the freight would probably kill ya,
because you'd be paying for one-up shipping.  Write info@techbook.com
for more assistance.

print "Just another Perl [book] hacker,"
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (02/19/91)

[I'm posting because there may be others in the same position as myself
-- a posted response would be appreciated.  And would anybody posting
follow-ups please direct them only to the appropriate group.]

In article <1991Feb18.060800.29648@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com
(Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
> I'm very sorry that international customers are at the mercy of
> Addison Wesley.  A/W has the rights to all international distribution
> for OR&A's books, so when an order comes in to OR&A, they must forward
> it to A/W for handling.

Would this explain why the credit-card order that I placed for a copy
at the OR&A booth at the Uniforum show last month has yet to produce
goods here in England?  Still, I have got a tee short with a camel on
it: I was allowed to walk away with that.  (And, no, I couldn't make it
to the Wednesday evening signing: I was busy internationalizing.)

And, by the way, OR&A, PLEASE don't make agreements like this:
you cannot be unaware of how many international mail order sales you
make.  We don't deal with you direct for the fun of it -- although,
admitedly, it's a little more fun than with many other outfits.

A-W's action seems, in the best tradition of publishing, to be designed
to maximize its income from the deal without necessarily maximizing
sales of the books.  Which brings me on to the weird cross-post to
rec.music.folk: Fairport Convention's stupid deal with Rough Trade for
the distribution of their latest album means that they are not allowed
to sell copies at concerts or by mail order through their fan club.
They're surely losing sales as a result -- more sales than Rough Trade
is gaining.  But any that Rough Trade does gain mean money for Rough
Trade.

Moral.  You gotta watch distributors!
--
Dominic Dunlop

bush@prg.ox.ac.uk (Mark Bush) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.084533.2214@tsa.co.uk> domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:

> In article <1991Feb18.060800.29648@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com
> (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
> > I'm very sorry that international customers are at the mercy of
> > Addison Wesley.  A/W has the rights to all international distribution
> > for OR&A's books, so when an order comes in to OR&A, they must forward
> > it to A/W for handling.
>
> A-W's action seems, in the best tradition of publishing, to be designed
> to maximize its income from the deal without necessarily maximizing
> sales of the books.
>
> Moral.  You gotta watch distributors!

The word I got from A-W was that OR&A were not giving them the
distribution until May.  They seemed to imply that it was a hold-up on
the part of OR&A that means that books are not getting over here (or to
any non-US places, I guess).

Does anyone have the scoop on this?  I was hoping to do an order for a
few people over here to cut shipping costs, but it seems that bulk
orders are a no-go and shipping at $20-25 per copy is not my idea of
fun.  I don't want to end up with a phone bill the size of an average
defense budget by phoning OR&A myself.

The question, I guess, is who really *is* responsibly for the
distributions?  Is it really OR&A or is A-W giving me the brush-off?

Mark

sfy@dmp.csiro.au (Shane Youl) (02/23/91)

From article <BUSH.91Feb21104328@thom5.prg.ox.ac.uk>, by bush@prg.ox.ac.uk (Mark Bush):
> In article <1991Feb19.084533.2214@tsa.co.uk> domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
>
>> In article <1991Feb18.060800.29648@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com
>> (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>> > I'm very sorry that international customers are at the mercy of
>> > Addison Wesley.  A/W has the rights to all international distribution
>> > for OR&A's books, so when an order comes in to OR&A, they must forward
>> > it to A/W for handling.
>>
>> A-W's action seems, in the best tradition of publishing, to be designed
>> to maximize its income from the deal without necessarily maximizing
>> sales of the books.
>>
>> Moral.  You gotta watch distributors!
>
> The word I got from A-W was that OR&A were not giving them the
> distribution until May.  They seemed to imply that it was a hold-up on
> the part of OR&A that means that books are not getting over here (or to
> any non-US places, I guess).
>
> Does anyone have the scoop on this?  I was hoping to do an order for a
> few people over here to cut shipping costs, but it seems that bulk
> orders are a no-go and shipping at $20-25 per copy is not my idea of
> fun.  I don't want to end up with a phone bill the size of an average
> defense budget by phoning OR&A myself.
>
> The question, I guess, is who really *is* responsibly for the
> distributions?  Is it really OR&A or is A-W giving me the brush-off?
>
> Mark
Hi,

What follows is the response I got directly from OR&A. I hope this helps.

-------------
Hello Shane,

Our latest book Programming Perl will be distributed in Australia by
Addison Wesley.  The book was delayed due to a problem with the
covers, but is now being shipped to our distributors.

Below, I have listed Addsion Wesley's address.

Thank you for your interst in our books

Kind Regards,

Kerri

	Effective January 1, 1990, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
will distribute books worldwide for O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. with
the exception of distribution to the United States, Canada, and
Japan.  We will continue US and Canadian distribution.

	You should order our books through the Addison-Wesley office
nearest you (ordering information follows).  Addison-Wesley Publishing
company offers faster order processing, enhanced distribution through
bookstores and other resellers, increased representation at trade
shows worldwide, as well as high level, quality service you have
always received.

	Addison-Wesley will include each title in all of its
appropriate seasonal catalogs, brochures, advertisements, exhibits and
conventions.  O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. will review all promotional
material before it is reproduced for distribution or publication.
This is to guarantee that you are provided with complete and accurate
information.

	We want to assure you that O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. will
always be available to you.  Feel free to contact us about any
recommendations you have for new titles, corrections in existing
titles, or general remarks.  We also encourage you to contact us with
comments about the service you are receiving from Addison-Wesley.
Thank you for your interest in our publications and your continued
involvement with O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.

Kind regards,
Kerri
Kerri Bonasch, Assistant Sales Manager (707) 829-0515
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
632 Petaluma Avenue, Sebastopol, CA  95472
UUCP:	uunet!ora!kerri

ORDERING INFORMATION:

All orders and inquiries should be directed towards Addison-Wesley.

Following is a list of addresses and telephone numbers for ordering.
Please call the appropriate number for ordering information,
discounts, shipping costs, etc.  Keep in mind that if you presently
receive a discount from us, your discount may change through
Addison-Wesley.  We do not have any influence in deciding what
discounts are offered.

Australia and New Zealand
	(orders & inquiries)
	Addison-Wesley Publishers Pty. Ltd.
 	6 Byfield Street
	North Ryde, N.S.W. 2113, AUSTRALIA
	Telephone:  61-2-888-2733
	Fax:  61-2-888-9404

United Kingdom and Africa
	(orders & inquiries)
	Addison-Wesley Publishers, Ltd.
	Finchampstead Road
	Wokingham, Berkshire Rg11 2NZ, ENGLAND
	Telephone:  44-734-794-000
	Fax:  44-734-794-035

Europe and the Middle East
	(orders & inquiries)
	Addison-Wesley Publishers B.V.
	De Lairessestraat 90
	1071 PJ Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS
	Telephone:  31-20-764-044
	Fax:  31-20-664-5334

Asia (excluding Japan)
	(Inquiries)
	Addison-Wesley Singapore Pte. Ltd.
	5 Beach Road05-09/10
	Beach Centre
	Singapore 0718, SINGAPORE
	Telephone:  65-339-7503
	Fax:  65-339-9709

	(Orders)
	Addison-Wesley Singapore Pte. Ltd.
	International Order Department
	Route 128
	Reading, Massachusetts  01867  U.S.A.
	Telephone:  617-944-3700
	Fax:  617-942-2829

If you are not certain which address to contact please let us know.

Orders will be fulfilled and shipped within 48 hours of placement.

--
                                         ____   _____     ____    ____
  Shane Youl                            /    \ /       / /    \  /    \

bush@prg.ox.ac.uk (Mark Bush) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb22.221138.19554@dmp.csiro.au> sfy@dmp.csiro.au (Shane Youl) writes:

> What follows is the response I got directly from OR&A. I hope this helps.
>
> -------------
> Hello Shane,
>
> Our latest book Programming Perl will be distributed in Australia by
> Addison Wesley.  The book was delayed due to a problem with the
> covers, but is now being shipped to our distributors.

I have checked again with A-W and they say that this is *not* the case
(at least in the UK).  They say that OR&A are not shipping them copies
of the book until May and went on about OR&A being very slow with
these things.

Many appologies to those that this subject doesn't interest for
slogging this out here---I guess it goes to show how popular the Camel
Book is (will be 8*).

Since A-W are so adamant that May is when OR&A will supply the book, I
guess I am now resigned to waiting. 8*(

The problem, of course, is that it seems unlikely that we non-US folks
will be able to get our hands on autographed copies without incurring
vast shipping fees from the US - sigh.

Mark

while(time<673056000){sleep(86400);}; print "Just another Perl Book
reader,";