[comp.lang.perl] why has Cray dropped CPP support from cf77?

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (02/21/91)

[ no longer a cray/fortran issue, I think, so followups redirected ]

allison@convex.com (Brian Allison) writes:

> I don't know about Cray, but Convex's cpp has a -pcc switch to force it to
> (quoting the man page) "behave compatibly with earlier preprocessors that
> were not ANSI C conforming."

(Does Convex's .F.o default make rule call cpp -pcc ?)

Hmm, so why did Tom say that he could no longer use cpp for his perl
scripts ?  Surely all he's got to do then is to get perl -P to call cpp -pcc ?
Tom ?

Hmm..  Thinking about it, perl really does need to be told about cpp flags
for -P, doesn't it.  Should Configure try -traditional and/or -pcc and
use them if accepted ?  Not that I've ever used -P, but if I ever do ...

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

From the keyboard of ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo):
:Hmm, so why did Tom say that he could no longer use cpp for his perl
:scripts ?  Surely all he's got to do then is to get perl -P to call cpp -pcc ?
:Tom ?

Yes, cpp -pcc will work for me.    I edit config.sh to fix it.

:Hmm..  Thinking about it, perl really does need to be told about cpp flags
:for -P, doesn't it.  Should Configure try -traditional and/or -pcc and
:use them if accepted ?  Not that I've ever used -P, but if I ever do ...

I don't think that cpp flags are sufficiently standardized for perl to
infer them without help.  If not a line in Configure, maybe in the README.

--tom
--
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn

 Tom Christiansen                tchrist@convex.com      convex!tchrist

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.223542.24085@convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>:Hmm..  Thinking about it, perl really does need to be told about cpp flags
>:for -P, doesn't it.  Should Configure try -traditional and/or -pcc and
>:use them if accepted ?  Not that I've ever used -P, but if I ever do ...
>
>I don't think that cpp flags are sufficiently standardized for perl to
>infer them without help.  If not a line in Configure, maybe in the README.

Sure they are. Find a lot of systems, and pick the ones that look standard.
Convex's -pcc argument is probably bending over backwards too far.
Exactly what behavior are you preserving anyway? The ability to
substitute inside strings? Glue tokens together with /**/?
Not complain about trailing noncomments on # lines?

The cpp should have __STDC__ defined (I forget the exact symbol).
We have had sufficient warning. Now it's time to break old code.
Ship a copy of the old Reiser cpp for emergencys, if you must.
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

From the keyboard of rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim):
:In article <1991Feb21.223542.24085@convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
:Exactly what behavior are you preserving anyway? The ability to
:substitute inside strings? Glue tokens together with /**/?
:Not complain about trailing noncomments on # lines?

Well, besides those things, there's this:

sub foo {
	    # ask for more

under old cpp, this was legal.  Under ansi it is not.  Perl, however,
now avoids letting cpp see those lines.  I've afraid to look at how. :-)

I think RBJ is being rather cavalier in his "let's break the old code"
approach.  What are you, a standards committee member or something? :-)

--tom
--

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (03/07/91)

tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>I think RBJ is being rather cavalier in his "let's break the old code"
>approach.  What are you, a standards committee member or something? :-)

Well, this is about to expire, so I had better comment on it.

I generally would rather be bitten by progress than by stagnation.
The former is more painful to novices, the latter to wizards.

I forget exactly what I said. The gist of it was something like
let's warn them first, them then break it.
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane