[comp.lang.perl] Porting PERL on Silicon Graphics 4D

dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) (03/20/91)

Has anybody gotten Perl up on an SGI machine?  I have tried compiling
it with a couple of different switches but the resulting code always
fails op.eval, op.s, and op.(something else).  The failure in op.eval
comes after printing the sixth ok.  Any hints/help appreciated.

David Boles

David Boles                                       Applied Research Laboratories
dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu                        DOS is severely brain-damaged,
apas611@chpc.utexas.edu                   so just pull the plug and let it DIE.

chk@alias.com (C. Harald Koch) (03/26/91)

In <45819@ut-emx.uucp> dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) writes:

>Has anybody gotten Perl up on an SGI machine?  I have tried compiling
>it with a couple of different switches but the resulting code always
>fails op.eval, op.s, and op.(something else).  The failure in op.eval
>comes after printing the sixth ok.  Any hints/help appreciated.

vfork, memcmp, and volatile are all broken under IRIX3.3. To get perl to
compile and work, you have to manually disable these three in the config.sh
file. Do this at the end when Configure asks you if you want to edit
config.sh.

Also, you have to specify -D_BSD_COMPAT as one of the arguments to the C
compiler (there's a question that asks for this near the beginning of
Configure).

With these changes, all versions of Perl have worked fine for me on SGI
systems, with the exception of an 'out of memory!' error when trying to
debug arrays...

Hope this helps!

--
C. Harald Koch  VE3TLA                Alias Research, Inc., Toronto ON Canada
Internet:    chk@alias.com      chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      chk@chk.mef.org

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCS) (03/27/91)

	I did all of that on our IRIX 3.3.1 system, and got an
(apparently) working perl out of it -- but the tests won't run.  If I
type 'make test', it 'cd's to the 't' directory, moves stuff around, and
then tells me that "No tests were run for some reason".
	I tweaked the TEST file, and tried everything I could think of,
and still nothing.  Anybody got any ideas?

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 604-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

fritzson@PRC.Unisys.COM (Richard Fritzson) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar27.070646.11213@riacs.edu> samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCS) writes:

>	I did all of that on our IRIX 3.3.1 system, and got an
>(apparently) working perl out of it -- but the tests won't run.  If I
>type 'make test', it 'cd's to the 't' directory, moves stuff around, and
>then tells me that "No tests were run for some reason".
>	I tweaked the TEST file, and tried everything I could think of,
>and still nothing.  Anybody got any ideas?

I have run into the same problem. The only "next thing" I determined
was that  the reason for the "No tests were run for some reason"
messages is  that the backquote facility isn't working in the
constructed Perl.

Have you tried this? :

chk@alias.com  writes:

>vfork, memcmp, and volatile are all broken under IRIX3.3. To get perl to
>compile and work, you have to manually disable these three in the config.sh
>file. Do this at the end when Configure asks you if you want to edit
>config.sh.
>
>Also, you have to specify -D_BSD_COMPAT as one of the arguments to the C
>compiler (there's a question that asks for this near the beginning of
>Configure).

Rich Fritzson				             fritzson@prc.unisys.com
Unisys - Center for Advanced Information Technology  (215) 648-2972

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCS) (03/29/91)

	Yup -- I set 'vfork', 'memcmp', and 'd_volatile' in 'config.sh'
to '', and added "-D_BSD_COMPAT" to the CFLAGS line in the Makefile,
re-compiled, and still got "...no tests..."

	Sheest!