[comp.lang.perl] Perl-Users Digest #673

Barr3y Jaspan <bjaspan@athena.mit.edu> (04/01/91)

|> I don't know if this has been hashed over before, but: What is the
|> shortest self-reproducing Perl program?

Well, this one isn't terribly short, and it isn't EXACTLY
self-reproducing, but it certainly has that kind of flavor to it.  By
the way, don't even TRY to run this program with a non-infinite stack.
(Hint: try smaller numbers)

@_ = (90470, 482466756, 285076, 95568296); eval ($hack = 's//($_-- >
0) ? ($perl++) && ($hack) : (print "$perl ") && ($perl = "a") && ($_ =
shift @_) && $hack/ee');

Barr3y Jaspan, bjaspan@mit.edu
Watchmaker Computing

ziegast@eng.umd.edu (Eric W. Ziegast) (04/01/91)

bjaspan@athena.mit.edu writes:
>@_ = (90470, 482466756, 285076, 95568296); eval ($hack = 's//($_-- >
>0) ? ($perl++) && ($hack) : (print "$perl ") && ($perl = "a") && ($_ =
>shift @_) && $hack/ee');

Sorry, it caused a segmentation fault on my system after eating up the
CPU.  I assume it's trying to print (in a very obscure way) "Just another
Perl hacker,".

It appears as though several posters are trying to out-perl others when
it comes to printing out the "standard" signature,

	Just another Perl hacker

How about having a contest for the best Perl hack that will print the
"standard" perl signature?  When run, such a hack should produce the same
results as:

	print "Just another Perl hacker";

"Best" is a relative term.  A signature should at least be portable and
be as obscure as possible.  Conciseness would be a plus.

This is just a suggestion and not an open invitation for everyone to
post just their hacks.   Perhaps someone could moderate enties by e-mail.
Is there a Perl guru out there able enough to judge the entries?

Eric Ziegast
University of Merryland