[comp.lang.perl] perl4.0

marc@athena.mit.edu (09/25/90)

Is perl 4.0 going to have multi-dimensional arrays in the language?
This is the only thing I haven't seen a good general-purpose perlish
way of doing.  Recently, I've wished for them several times, and ended
up kludging around the problem.  And they were ugly kludges :-)

		Marc

aks@somewhere.ucsb.edu (Alan Stebbens) (09/26/90)

In <1990Sep25.012158.20114@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU> marc@athena.mit.edu writes:

>Is perl 4.0 going to have multi-dimensional arrays in the language?

Actually, if Perl 4.0 is going to have new features, I'd vote for structures
over multidimensional arrays.  Right now, there are kluges and hacks using
strings with pack() and unpack() to convert binary structures to and from
the system libraries and calls.  With structures added (using an appropriate
syntax), such contrivances would no longer be needed.

Just allowing array elements to have non-scalar values would be a good start.

Not that having Perl up to this point hasn't been a Good Thing... :^)

Alan Stebbens <hub.ucsb.edu>
--

Alan Stebbens <aks@hub.ucsb.edu>

flee@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (09/26/90)

>Just allowing array elements to have non-scalar values would be a good start.

Recursive types.  Yeah!  See below.  More to come...

split(/([ae])/,"ck.\narl her penotha");grep(eval'@z'.++$z.'=split(/z*/);
$_=*z'.$z,@_);for(reverse@_){*_=$_;print@_;}
--
Felix Lee	flee@cs.psu.edu

garvey@johnny5.uucp (Joe Garvey) (04/14/91)

How the heck does one use the patches to perl4.0, when perl4.0 hasn't
been posted to the net (or if it was... were not any of the "normal"
places)?

Isn't this kinda getting the cart before the horse?

--

Joe Garvey                       uucp: sumax!quick!johnny5!garvey
J5 Research                      map entries are wrong for johnny5. They're

hf@fenny (Hannes Faestermann) (04/14/91)

garvey@johnny5.uucp (Joe Garvey) writes:

>How the heck does one use the patches to perl4.0, when perl4.0 hasn't
>been posted to the net (or if it was... were not any of the "normal"
>places)?

Just get the file perl-4.003.tar.Z from prep.ai.mit.edu. in the
directory /pub/gnu and you don't have to patch at all.

>Isn't this kinda getting the cart before the horse?

Seems so.

	Hannes

Use my address below; my header may be incorrect

Hannes Faestermann           |  Internet:
Physik-Department E17        |   Hannes.Faestermann@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE
TU Muenchen,                 |
8046 Garching, West Germany  |  BitNET  : HF@DGABLG5P