[comp.lang.perl] JAPH's

markb@agora.rain.com (Mark Biggar) (04/27/91)

Ok, everybody explain this one!

do not print ("Just another Perl Hacker\n");

--
Perl's Maternal Uncle
Mark Biggar

rearl@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Robert Earl) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr27.025230.27994@agora.rain.com> markb@agora.rain.com (Mark Biggar) writes:

|   Ok, everybody explain this one!
|
|   do not print ("Just another Perl Hacker\n");

I get an undefined subroutine error, and *then* it prints the line!
It's trying to call sub "not" with the return value of the "print" as
its argument.

	perl -e 'do not fork();'

gives an error, but

	perl -e 'do not exec("date");'

works, and as a bonus, never gets to the undefined subroutine :-)

Apparently it works only with the special operators with the syntax
"OP ARG LIST", where ARG for "print" is the filehandle, and for "exec"
is the program's argv[0].

--robert

sharon@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Sharon Hopkins) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr27.025230.27994@agora.rain.com> markb@agora.rain.com (Mark Biggar) writes:
>Ok, everybody explain this one!
>
>do not print ("Just another Perl Hacker\n");
>--
>Perl's Maternal Uncle
>Mark Biggar
>markb@agora.rain.com

I have to disqualify myself since Mark got his JAPH idea from the line:

	do not die (like this) if sin abounds;

in one of my perl poems.  The 'if' of course was to keep the poem
from returning 'this at - line 24', which would have been ugly,
poetically speaking.  I had no idea there was anything weird about
saying 'do not die (like this)' in perl.

It must be a feature.  :-)

--Sharon Hopkins
  sharon@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov