[comp.lang.perl] Perl 4pl3 on Microport SVR4 core dump

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (04/21/91)

I'm trying to compile PERL patchlevel 3 (version 4.0) on a Microport
System V Rel 4 (version 2.0) with GCC v1.39.

The problem might be apparent from the ld errors it gets...I don't
have exact text but:

ld: perly.o: warning: Symbol: `cshname` has different size in file array.o
ld: perly.o: warning: incompatible types for symbol `cshname` also in file
  array.o

It does this for cshlen and statstab also...and it also complains about
'dc' between /usr/ucblib/libucb.a(readdir.o) and perly.o.

The end result of all this is that perl core dumps while trying to
run the perl script that runs the tests (sigh). I get two styles
of coredump...one is the standard Segmentation Fault..the other
is a "Memory Fault(coredump)" which looks like it comes from perl(?).

BTW, one other thing to note...trying to ld the 'uperl.o' fails to find the
nsl library (-lnsl) while GCC finds that no problem. The nsl library
is a shared library in this OS...perhaps that's why.

Just another problem report. Thanks for any help!
--
Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh

Congresswoman:  Well, Mr. Dallas... we've heard your smut masquerading as
songs... and we've heard how teen prostitution pregnancy, drug use, cults,
runaways, suicide and poor hygiene are sweeping this nation.  We thought you
might like to share with the committee any particular causes you might see
for those latter problems...
Steve Dallas:  I dunno.  Maybe the proliferation of narrow, suffocating

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (04/24/91)

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) writes:

>I'm trying to compile PERL patchlevel 3 (version 4.0) on a Microport
>System V Rel 4 (version 2.0) with GCC v1.39.

>Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh

Do you have a strong conviction against using the AT&T compiler?
Perl4.0 pl3 compiled without much trouble using it.

All the tests passed ok.

Richard

Richard Ducoty		        \\\\\\\
Microport Inc.		          (.)(.) 			root@mport.com
voice=> (408) 438-8649	             >	 		  	duc@mport.com
fax=>   (408) 438-7560		    -				uunet!mport!duc
                          " militiae species amor est "

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (04/24/91)

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) writes:

>>I'm trying to compile PERL patchlevel 3 (version 4.0) on a Microport
>>System V Rel 4 (version 2.0) with GCC v1.39.

>Do you have a strong conviction against using the AT&T compiler?
>Perl4.0 pl3 compiled without much trouble using it.

Well...that compiler seemed mighty brain damaged. I guess if I want
PERL on the machine....<grin>.

I still need to find out why this happens though.
--
Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh

He who has self-conceit in his head -
      Do not imagine that he will ever hear the truth.

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (04/25/91)

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) writes:
>>I'm trying to compile PERL patchlevel 3 (version 4.0) on a Microport
>>System V Rel 4 (version 2.0) with GCC v1.39.

>Do you have a strong conviction against using the AT&T compiler?
>Perl4.0 pl3 compiled without much trouble using it.

NOW I do! It still coredumps on the tests (however the compiler
nor the linker complain with the AT&T compiler), and interestingly
enough even crashed my machine!

I take it you weren't using the BSD stuff when you compiled it?
--

peter@micromuse.co.uk (Peter Galbavy) (04/30/91)

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) writes:

>I'm trying to compile PERL patchlevel 3 (version 4.0) on a Microport
>System V Rel 4 (version 2.0) with GCC v1.39.

[ stuff deleted ]

I am having the same problems with UHC V4 - is there a generic V4 fix ?

Or has anybody got it working with V4 ?

>Just another problem report. Thanks for any help!
>--
>Dave Hayes -  dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov - ames!elroy!dxh
--
Peter Galbavy
Tech Support, Micromuse Ltd
Phone: +44 71 352 7774		E-Mail: P.Galbavy@micromuse.co.uk

Disclaimer: Time flies like an arrow... Fruit flies like a banana

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (05/06/91)

peter@micromuse.co.uk (Peter Galbavy) writes:
>dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) writes:

>>I'm trying to compile PERL patchlevel 3 (version 4.0) on a Microport
>>System V Rel 4 (version 2.0) with GCC v1.39.

>I am having the same problems with UHC V4 - is there a generic V4 fix ?
>Or has anybody got it working with V4 ?

I had to preppare it in a specific way to get it to go.  It worked fine
after that - passes all tests, etc.  What I did was:

1]  Unpack Perl 4.0
2]  Run Config (Configure?)
3]  Patch the config'd source with the 3 patches
4]  Make a hints directory and move all the hints files into it.
    ( I just mv'd *.sh into hints then moved config.sh back out
      to the main directory - or something close to that - I don't
      have the source available to look at right now)
5]  Run Config again - I think I said the previous Config wasn't
      made on my system
6]  Make that sucka.  I don't recall any great difficulty during the
     make.  There were the normal ANSI warnings.

I made it on 2 machines, one of them had trouble with the groups test
There are 2 groups utilities in SVR4, AT&T and BSD.  So depending
on how you set up Perl and your PATH - you may have some trouble
there.