[comp.lang.perl] compiling Perl for MSDOS with MSC 6.0

markb@agora.rain.com (Mark Biggar) (05/14/91)

I got it all compiled except for eval.c (I had to turn optimization off
 for toke.c but that's usual).  eval.c gives me a "out of heap error in phase 3"
 any ideas?
 --
 Perl's Maternal Uncle
 Mark Biggar

eversole@acae037.cadence.com (Richard Eversole; x6239) (05/20/91)

I got eval.c to compile by using -Oacegls instead of the recommended -Oacegils.
I get the compiler internal error if I even use -Oi. It is the inlining
of intrinsics that appears to cause the problem.

Note: I gotten all of perl to compile but it does not work !

If some one has a perl4.0 binary for the IBM PC I'd like to have
a copy.

    eversole@cadence.com

    Live long and prosper !

wjb@moscom.UUCP (Bill de Beaubien) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.154101.13475@cadence.com> eversole@acae037.cadence.com (Richard Eversole; x6239) writes:
>I got eval.c to compile by using -Oacegls instead of the recommended -Oacegils.
>I get the compiler internal error if I even use -Oi. It is the inlining
>of intrinsics that appears to cause the problem.
>
>Note: I gotten all of perl to compile but it does not work !
>
>If some one has a perl4.0 binary for the IBM PC I'd like to have
>a copy.

Well, it compiles under 6.0a with Od... (Lately, I don't trust uSoft's
optimization overmuch).  If you're using 6.0 plain, you should definitely
upgrade, it was excessively buggy (6.0a's at least somewhat better).  I
did the yacc portion on our Sun and downloaded the result;  seemed to work
fine.  Did have to do a bit of minor surgery on the makefile for ms-dos,
though.

Bill
--
"Bless me, Father; I ate a lizard."
"Was it an abstinence day, and was it artificially prepared?"