[comp.lang.perl] Perl file extension

przemek@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Przemek Klosowski) (05/29/91)

Hello!
 I noticed that RCS treats files with extension ".pl" as Prolog files;
as a result it inserts $Log$ entries prefixed with % instead of # as the
comment char.
 I know it is too late, because files in the Book of Camels have
already been using the extension .pl, but perhaps it could be
considered to change to something else? ".prl" or ".pr" perhaps...
--
			przemek klosowski (przemek@ndcvx.cc.nd.edu)
			Physics Department

glenn@glenn@bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (05/30/91)

In article <PRZEMEK.91May29115226@rrdstrad.nist.gov> przemek@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Przemek Klosowski) writes:
>  I noticed that RCS treats files with extension ".pl" as Prolog files;
> as a result it inserts $Log$ entries prefixed with % instead of # as the
> comment char.

rcs -c"# " foo.pl

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street

lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Wall) (06/01/91)

In article <GLENN.91May29192309@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com> <glenn@bitstream.com> (Glenn Parker) writes:
: In article <PRZEMEK.91May29115226@rrdstrad.nist.gov> przemek@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Przemek Klosowski) writes:
: >  I noticed that RCS treats files with extension ".pl" as Prolog files;
: > as a result it inserts $Log$ entries prefixed with % instead of # as the
: > comment char.
:
: rcs -c"# " foo.pl

I wish someone would fix RCS.  All it needs to do is look and see what the
current comment character is on $Log$ and use that.  This business of
guessing from the extension is, by definition, non-extensible.  Blech.

Larry