[comp.lang.perl] Compiling 4.003 on an ULTRIX 4.1

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (06/01/91)

When I do a make it is all fine until
gcc -c `sh cflags.SH util.o` util.c
	  CFLAGS =  -DLANGUAGE_C -O
util.c: In function memcmp:
util.c:1394: argument `s1' doesn't match function prototype
util.c:1394: argument `s2' doesn't match function prototype
util.c:1394: argument `len' doesn't match function prototype
util.c: In function scanhex:
util.c:1517: warning: assignment of pointer from integer lacks a cast
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Anyone else out there on a DECStation running ULTRIX 4.1 that can tell
me what is wrong.. This warning came up a few other times but it didn't
stop it.  Help.   thanks.

	ian

-=Runaway Daemon=-

magill@dccs.upenn.edu (William H. Magill) (06/06/91)

|   From: frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-)
|   Date: 1 Jun 91 00:04:34 GMT
|
|   When I do a make it is all fine until
|   gcc -c `sh cflags.SH util.o` util.c
|            CFLAGS =  -DLANGUAGE_C -O
|   util.c: In function memcmp:
|   util.c:1394: argument `s1' doesn't match function prototype
|   util.c:1394: argument `s2' doesn't match function prototype
|   util.c:1394: argument `len' doesn't match function prototype
|   util.c: In function scanhex:
|   util.c:1517: warning: assignment of pointer from integer lacks a cast
|   *** Error code 1
|
|   Stop.
|
|   Anyone else out there on a DECStation running ULTRIX 4.1 that can tell
|   me what is wrong.. This warning came up a few other times but it didn't
|   stop it.  Help.   thanks.

Interesting. I just sucked down 4.3 from jpl and compiled it with no
errors. I took all the assorted defaults - including the -0limit 2900

cc -c `sh cflags.SH util.o` util.c
          CFLAGS =  -DLANGUAGE_C -Olimit 2900 -O

since I don't have gcc up on this system (DECstation 5000/200 Ultrix 4.1 -
including a patch for a bug in sh related to an interaction with find.)

However, I get 4 failures in the test suite.

op/eval........FAILED on test 9

op/groups......FAILED on test 1

op/s...........FAILED on test 40

lib/big........../lib/bigint.pl did not return a true value at ./lib/big.t line 2.
FAILED on test 0
Failed 4 tests.
*** Error code 9 (ignored)

Now all I have to do is see what works and doesn't work.

William H. Magill                         Manager, PennNet Technical Services
Data Communications and Computing Services (DCCS)  University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@dccs.upenn.edu                   magill@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
          magill@upenn.edu

kenc@suntan.viewlogic.com (Kenstir) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun5.202422.4467@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU>, magill@dccs.upenn.edu (William H. Magill) writes:

> However, I get 4 failures in the test suite.
>
> op/eval........FAILED on test 9
>
> op/groups......FAILED on test 1
>
> op/s...........FAILED on test 40

I had the op/groups failure until I answered Configure's questions
correctly - the return type of getgroups() is `int', NOT `gid_t'.

I haven't seen the other problems mentioned.

DECstation 3100, Ultrix 4.1, Perl 4 patchlevel 3.

--
Kenneth H. Cox
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.

yyeap@ub.d.umn.edu (Yeap Yuen Pin) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun5.202422.4467@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU> magill@dccs.upenn.edu writes:
>op/eval........FAILED on test 9
>op/groups......FAILED on test 1
>op/s...........FAILED on test 40
>lib/big........../lib/bigint.pl did not return a true value at ./lib/big.t line 2.
>FAILED on test 0
>Failed 4 tests.

I had the same errors at patchlevel #3.  However, after patching it to #9, I
got:

io/dup.........FAILED on test 4
io/pipe........FAILED on test 6
op/eval........FAILED on test 9
op/s...........FAILED on test 40
lib/big........../lib/bigint.pl did not return a true value at ./lib/big.t line
2.
FAILED on test 0
Failed 5 tests.

CC = cc
CFLAGS =  -DLANGUAGE_C -Olimit 2900 -O
uname -a == ULTRIX ua.d.umn. 4.1 0 RISC (DecStation 5500)

If anyone knows how to fix this, please email me or post.  Thanks.

--
Yeap Yuen Pin                     ||    Bitnet: yyeap@UMNDUL
Information Services              ||    Internet: yyeap@ub.d.umn.edu