[comp.lang.perl] Need help: Motorola 3640 Unix R3V6 Install of Perl

sanders@netcom.COM (Robert Sanders) (06/06/91)

Perly folks everywhere, (attempt #2 usa)

New to PERL, I'm trying to get it going on a Motorola 3640 system running
R3V6.1.  It builds OK, but hangs on the test (make test) for comp/cmdopt.

I'm starting to enter sample code from the Nutshell book anyway to get
started.  Seems to work so far (doesn't support #!), but I'm a little
nervous due to test hang.

Any tips on how to debug?  Anyone get this thing going on a Moto system
running their UNIX?

TIA,

--
#                                               |Iowa State Motto:           #
# Internet: sanders@netcom.COM                  | Our Liberties We Prize and #

lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Wall) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.153753.1620@netcom.COM> sanders@netcom.COM (Robert Sanders) writes:
: New to PERL, I'm trying to get it going on a Motorola 3640 system running
: R3V6.1.  It builds OK, but hangs on the test (make test) for comp/cmdopt.

I'd make a copy of comp/cmdopt.t and start trying to whittle it down to
a minimal example.

Actually, before I did that, I'd try fiddling with the optimizer flags.  It
doesn't look like any of the usual difficulties--there aren't any loops in
that file, so it won't be longjmp() clobbering registers.  Nor is it asking
for input anywhere, so it's probably loooping (nice typo there).  Check to
see if it's actually chewing CPU time.  If you can, force a core dump and
get a stack trace.  Run your minimal example with -D14.

Larry

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun6.153753.1620@netcom.COM> sanders@netcom.COM (Robert Sanders) writes:

>New to PERL, I'm trying to get it going on a Motorola 3640 system running
>R3V6.1.  It builds OK, but hangs on the test (make test) for comp/cmdopt.

If this is the 88K machine with the Greenhills compiler, it's the compiler's
fault.  I had oodles of flakiness problems with Perl 3.44.  We had to abandon
Perl on it (installed on a Sun 4/470 instead).
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca