[comp.lang.perl] NeXT 2.1: Bus Error with 'make test' after patch #10

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (06/10/91)

Patched perl from 4.003 - 4.010 and this is the output of
a make test:

othello:~/Apps/perl>make test
 cd t && chmod +x TEST */*.t
 cd t && (rm -f perl; ln -s ../perl .) && ./perl TEST </dev/tty
sh: 12250 Bus error
*** Exit 138 (ignored)

--
     Peter Schmitt                                          UNIX Consultant
Kiewit Computation Center                                Computing  Services

lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Wall) (06/11/91)

:
: othello:~/Apps/perl>make test
:  cd t && chmod +x TEST */*.t
:  cd t && (rm -f perl; ln -s ../perl .) && ./perl TEST </dev/tty
: sh: 12250 Bus error
: *** Exit 138 (ignored)

That's interesting, as far as it goes.  I have no NeXT to test on, so
it qualifies as a datam, but not much more.  You might try running some
of the test files by hand:

  [in cshish]
    cd t
    foreach file (*/*.t)
	$file
    end

A stack trace might also be enlightening.  Output from -D14 and such might
help.  If you mail to me, send config.sh.

I'll be at Usenix Wed .. Fri but I should still be able to read my mail.
I say I "should" be able to, but that doesn't mean I will be able to--our
PSI node in LA has been running 4 customers on 3 modems for close to a
month, and I'm getting awfully tired of seeing BUSY all day long.  Grrr.
They said there'd be a new modem a coupla weeks ago.  Grrr.

Larry

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (06/11/91)

This didn't happen to me under NeXTStep 2.0.  In fact, a local mod to
perl.c to manually type cast strcpy() and getenv() is no longer needed
after I applied patches 4 through 10.  (Thanks, Larry.)

joe@mathcs.emory.edu (Joe Christy) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.171355.4137@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov> lwall@netlabs.com (Larry Wall) writes:
>In article <1991Jun10.152040.26842@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>: Patched perl from 4.003 - 4.010 and this is the output of
>: a make test:
>:
>: othello:~/Apps/perl>make test
>:  cd t && chmod +x TEST */*.t
>:  cd t && (rm -f perl; ln -s ../perl .) && ./perl TEST </dev/tty
>: sh: 12250 Bus error
>: *** Exit 138 (ignored)
>
>That's interesting, as far as it goes.  I have no NeXT to test on, so
>it qualifies as a datam, but not much more.  ...

I had no trouble compiling or testing patchlevel 10 under NeXT OS 2.1
on my machine, so it must be a problem local to Dartmouth. In fact,
this was the first time that I didn't have to edit config.sh to
counteract the spaggetti-ish NeXT #include's notion of memcpy and
patch perl.c to get around the similar problem with index and
strchr. The finished product looks pretty solid to me.

Joe

Joe Christy         | joe@math.bu.edu
17 Service Drive    | Dept. of Math.
Wellesley, MA 02181 | Boston University
(617) 431-1680      | 111 Cummington St.
joe@suzette.UUCP    | Boston, MA 02215
--
Joe Christy         | joe@mathcs.emory.edu       | Time flies like an
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!joe | arrow, fruit flies