[comp.lang.perl] perl4.010 -P

karrer@bernina.ethz.ch (Andreas Karrer) (06/11/91)

It seems that on SunOS/Ultrix/ConvexOS and probably others, perl4.010 -P
will only work if your perl source is in exactly the same spot as it
was when perl was installed.

This is because Configure decides (after cc -E fails) to use the following
script to invoke the C preprocessor:

	cat >.$$.c; cc -E ${1+"$@"} .$$.c; rm .$$.c

Unfortunately, the cppstdin script is not installed into $privlib; and
the pathname <perl-source-directory>/cppstdin is glued into the perl
binary. Im my case, this happens to be an automounted directory from
a machine which is 3 routers away; hardly a relyable path...

+-----------
  Andi Karrer, Communication Systems, ETH Zuerich, Switzerland
  karrer@bernina.ethz.ch                 - terible simplifieur

rkrebs@fantasy.dsd.es.com (Randall Krebs) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.102941.9804@bernina.ethz.ch>, karrer@bernina.ethz.ch (Andreas Karrer) writes:
> It seems that on SunOS/Ultrix/ConvexOS and probably others, perl4.010 -P
> will only work if your perl source is in exactly the same spot as it
> was when perl was installed.
>
> This is because Configure decides (after cc -E fails) to use the following
> script to invoke the C preprocessor:
>
> 	cat >.$$.c; cc -E ${1+"$@"} .$$.c; rm .$$.c
>
> [...]

Yeah.  I ran into this, too.   Mips RISC/os 4.52.  I ended up
installing cppstdin by hand into /usr/local/bin, modifying the
config.sh to reflect this, then re-making and installing.

I tried to figure out why using "/usr/lib/cpp -P" was a lose
for this.  Never did get a clue.  Anyone?  Anyone??

randall.
--
   Randall S. Krebs     | A chicken is the egg's way of making more eggs.
   (rkrebs@dsd.es.com)  | Government is anarchy's way of making more anarchy.