[net.columbia] Solar Max troubles

db@harpo.UUCP (04/09/84)

#N::37800001:000:737
!db    Apr  9 09:33:00 1984

Did anyone notice that two networks had conflicting reasons why the
dock with Solar Max was in trouble? One set of astronaut-consultants
was explaining that the trouble was with the satellite attitude control
system not being turned off by Goddard, and the other set was saying
the problem was with the docking mechanism.

By the way, does anyone know why the astronauts cant just go out to the
satellite and replace the defective modules without bringing it to a
stop? I suppose it could be tricky if they had to fight centrifigal
force, but seems they could somehow anchor themselves.
Wouldnt seem to be any worse than working on something in earth gravity,
except that anything you drop would fall out on a tangent instead of down.

ee163aca@sdccs7.UUCP (04/10/84)

[]

	Can anyone tell me why NASA didn't have enough fuel for its MMUs.
It seems logical to have some spare nitrogen to refuel the things with, rather
than jeapordize the whole mission because they ran out of gas.  I can understand
running low on fuel for the manuvering (sp?) the shuttle, but for the backpacks?
If all they can do is move up a few hundred yards and come back, what good are
the MMUs.  Oh well, at least they got the thing down with the robot arm.

Paul van de Graaf	sdcsvax!sdccs7!ee163aca

brahms@trwspp.UUCP (04/10/84)

[}{]

> By the way, does anyone know why the astronauts cant just go out to the
> satellite and replace the defective modules without bringing it to a
> stop?

Remember the law: For ever action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Therefore, any force applied to the satilite would cause the satlite to
start moving (rotating) in the opposite direction.  Not what you really
want to happen.  It is a lot easier to work on an object the is secured.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@USC-ECLC

alb@alice.UUCP (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (04/11/84)

There was plenty of fuel for the MMU's.  It was (is)
the shuttle that was (is) running out of propellent.

osd7@homxa.UUCP (Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz) (04/11/84)

So the MMU's fuel reserve was OK, but not the shuttle's.
What good is the shuttle then?
--
Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz/AT&T Bell Laboratories/201-949-1532
....ihnp4!homxa!osd7  /Crawfords Crnr. Rd., Holmdel, NJ, 07733

wmartin@brl-vgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (04/11/84)

I'm mystified about this business regarding the fuel for the MMU's vs
the Shuttle maneuvering fuel. Not only the network news people (NBC)
but also the advisors (astronauts, scientists, whoever) were
specifically discussing that Pinky's MMU fuel gauge was "red-lined";
that he only had enough MMU fuel to get back to the Shuttle, so
he had to let Solar Max go and get back. There was no choice; it
was a "mission rule". I assumed he ran out because he had the MMU
thrusters on full while he hung on to Max trying to slow its rotation.
It wasn't surprising that he would run out. And since they wanted
to do the activity in sunlight, they had to wait until the next
orbit anyway to continue, as they approached nightside. But what
irked me was that NOBODY (advisors, newscritters, whatever) ever
mentioned refueling the MMU -- they talked about using the OTHER MMU.
They never said that it wasn't possible, that it would be possible
but wasn't wise or safe, or that there wasn't any source for more
MMU fuel, or ANYTHING! They just left the topic hang!

Now I see net discussion saying that it wasn't the MMU fuel, but
the shuttle thruster fuel that was the limiting factor. That is
NOT what was clearly and specifically said at the time. The term
"red-lined" was used repeatedly, and it was the MMU they were
referring to.

Now that the point is moot, I expect no one will ever say anything
publically about it again, but I still am irritated by the
failure of the people on the tv to ask and answer the OBVIOUS
questions that occur to the audience.

Will

karn@allegra.UUCP (Phil Karn) (04/12/84)

As I understood it from the later news reports, Nelson's MMU did indeed
require refilling, but it was far from empty - just at the point
where the rules required a return.  However, the crew tried a grab
with the RMS arm later even with the nutation that had been introduced
earlier and it was this attempt that ran the forward RCS propellant below
the level at which further use of the MMU could be allowed. It was
flatly stated then that the MMU would not be used again on this flight.

However, this morning after the repair operation had been completed, they
did indeed try out the MMUs again untethered! I guess the rules can
be bent a little.

It had occurred to me too at the time Nelson attempted to grab the solar
array that this was an ill-advised thing to try. The possibility of
introducing nutation didn't occur to me right away, I was more concerned
about damage to the array arm. I also noticed later on, before we
heard stories about the ground's concern, that the solar panels no
longer seemed to be tracking the sun. I suspect that there will be
some pointed questions asked of the crew after this mission, at least
in private.

Phil

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (04/15/84)

--------------------
From: wmartin@brl-vgr.ARPA (Will Martin )

But what
irked me was that NOBODY (advisors, newscritters, whatever) ever
mentioned refueling the MMU -- they talked about using the OTHER MMU.
I think I was watching CNN when this was going on, and I distinctly
remember them mentioning refueling the MMU that was being used.
--
			Barry Margolin
			ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics